I Forge Iron

My First Post Vise!

Altusjg

I got this 4.5" post vise on ebay for $41 USD. Unfortunately the shipping was as much as the vise. :angry: Ohh well... i was willing to pay and now that i have it in hand im happy i did. It weighs approx 45lbs. The threads on the screw and screw box are in great shape. It has a nice patina. Now all i have to do is make a spring and mounting plate.

And my meager collection of blacksmithing tools slowly continues to increases in size......... :D

post-18517-0-50403300-1304652513_thumb.j

post-18517-0-65848100-1304652523_thumb.j

post-18517-0-22500500-1304652539_thumb.j

post-18517-0-82505400-1304652590_thumb.j

You did not do too bad, I have picked them up for $50.00 and would never sell one for less than $80 and have sold for as much as $225.00. So I think you did ok, the screw does look good that is the main thing you want to look at. The spring is an easy fix, I used mild steel on my 6 inch vise and it works fine. The mount can be a little more challenging, lots of different ways to build a mount. I forged one out of 1 1/2 inch square stock, slit and drifted for the wedges. There are easier ways to do the mounting bracket, this is just what I wanted for my vise
post-10376-0-97590900-1304692019_thumb.j

Thanks for the ideas on mounting plates and springs. Im really wanting to get it done but i have to get ready to head out of town for the weekend. Guess i'll get to it when i get back.

Once I saw the U-bolt trick done on Columbian Vises stock from the manufacturer I've used it several times with variations---including bolting a large piece of sq tubing into an I beam holding up the roof of a shop and then bolting the vise with a U bolt into the sq tubing---gave a bit more distance from the vise to the wall and a place to set tools.

I've looked over this vise several time looking for any identifiable marks and all i come up with is an S followed by what could be a T, F or E on the movable leg but i cant make out anything else. I was interested in the make and age but have no idea how to find out. The seller only new that it was from an estate sale in N.Y.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...