I Forge Iron

saw maker anvil

I want to build saw maker anvil (I do have a real anvil 100# and several RR tracks but I want to have something in 70 lb range with a lot of face space) I can't find one for sale in my aria SC, GA. Here is my idea. Face is tool steel (or what better?) 6"x12" by 1"+. Under it piece of mild steel 5"x11"x2" and under it another piece of mild steel 4"x10" goes to bottom plate. Walls will be 1/2 steel and all the voids filled with lead (not sure if it's a good idea). All structure will be welded together. How do they ring anyway?

I don't understand why all the pieces,faces,lead etc.? Your local scrap dealer should have a piece of steel that weight and about the right shape for 30 cents a pound. Add a top plate if you want,but it might work just fine as is.Am I being too simplistic here??

The ringing sound of London pattern anvils is a by-product of the extended "T" shape. The narrower the waist and longer the pike and heel, the more they ring, pound for pound. The few old (Colonial) wrought hornless anvils that I have had a chance to examine had very little ring when stuck.

A tool steel drop, or even mild steel block of that size, would be a respectable anvil, and far cheaper than a used specialty pattern anvil. Get out the Yellow pages and make some calls, or get involved with your local blacksmith group, and you will be amazed at the things that will turn up.

If building up quality anvils out of junk and filling them up with lead worked, it would have become standard practice centuries ago. But you are welcome to try it, and let us know how it works.

Skip the lead. Make any stack of pieces vertical and not horizontal; or even better just find a hunk of steel as suggested.

If you could find a discarded die you would have a heavy chunk of excellent steel and you cold put the cut out face down and forget about it!

• 4 weeks later...