I Forge Iron

If you already have a pedestal grinder, you may want to practice hand sharpening. Can be done sufficiently right down to even 1/16" bits. Ive also done it on a stand up disk sander. Most older people in the machine trades know how to do this if you need work with someone on it. Good luck. Spears.

Sirs,Thank you for your replys. I wonder if this pile of drill steel has any value to an amalgamamator of ferrous metals? There is a limit as to my arms length, to see those tiny things, And i fear for my nail polish. The bench grinder have a love /hate relashionship. 9/64" "stubbies" is the size i buy from a tool house by the little sack and likely will continue to. I punch more holes than i drill, in larger sizes. While i am on drills i ask how a smith 300 years ago made a 1/8" hole all the way through a 5/4" solid wrought iron bar, so precisely drilled that a perfect miter joint could be "tacked" with medieval roll pins, untill the tenons could be set, securing the gate assembly till today. A brace and spade bit?

Hey Old & Rusty, according to what I just read this sharpener will work down to 3/32". We had one of these where I used to work because we used bunches of #30 double ended drill bits for drilling holes for 1/8" Rivets. Here is a link. http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=71&flypage=flypage.pbv.tabs.tpl&product_id=2670&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=145
It was nice meeting you at Artmania. Alec got his racks made and has all his tools in order.

If you already have a pedestal grinder, you may want to practice hand sharpening. Can be done sufficiently right down to even 1/16" bits. Ive also done it on a stand up disk sander. Most older people in the machine trades know how to do this if you need work with someone on it. Good luck. Spears.

Spears, if you can sharpen a 1/16 drill bit on a ped grinder you're a better man than I....:lol:...I sharpen bits all the time but after 1/8 I toss em'

@LDW - I have one of the Drill Dr bit sharpeners. It is pretty touchy on the little bits but has worked well enough on about 3/16" and up. The bit holder has a small tab that registers against the flute and at least for me has been hit and miss on small bits.

Ward

little bitty things they are best shapenen by hand, by an expert with good eyes. i have chucked a tiny bit in my hand chuck battery drill, and used my tungsten grinder to approximate the right angle to sharpen them.That works sort of, about like the best to be expected from the drill doc.

• 4 months later...

Hi. Those small bits can be very fiddly to sharpen on either a cheap swing type drill sharpener or freehand. Someone once suggested to me that I spin them against the correct edge of the grinding wheel (not the side) until a pencil point is achieved. This point will not cut since it does not have any relief. Then, cut the relief on a stone. Use a magnifier and a drill angle guide to get things right. Add relief until it cuts. If you goof it up, just go back to the grinder and put the pencil point back on. This is the only way I have been able to do it.

I have heard of people doing poor boy hardfacing with small drill bits as filler rod. I have never tried this and don't know if it would work. There are some papers out of Russia on poor boy hardfacing. Very interesting. The key is to get enough tungsten and carbon into the weld to make it air hardening.