I Forge Iron

Made a hacksaw

Very nice.

What are you planning on doing different with the handle? It looks a lot like a dovetail saw with the handle that way, or at least like a dovetail saw I have. While it is not very nice for lots of heavy sawing it works fine for several light cuts.

Phil

Looks very much like the older style of hacksaw before they started putting "pistol" grips on them except for the placement of the handle. In the older style like my father's from the nineteen-thirties the handle was also the blade tensioning screw and was in line with the blade. It is such a good way to bust a few knuckles, at least this way your knuckles are up and out of the way. It's always nice to see someone making their own tools :P

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw a similar mechanism somewhere and borrowed it. Works really well. It seems to tension the blade tighter than the traditional thumbscrew mechanism. The thumbscrews holding the blade in place were a bear to make! So tiny compared to most if the stuff I make. Thanks for looking...bart

• 1 year later...

I'm still not quite getting how you get tension on this mechanism. Is the handle threaded and tension adjusted that way?

The top top bar (yes, I said top top)is hooked in and acts as a spring mechanism to tension the blade. The bottom top bar pivots at the handle and pulls the blade tight.

Ingenious design.