I Forge Iron

Lathe & Tooling Pictures

riosmom

Some of that stuff makes up what would be considered a well tooled lathe. Other items are more general in nature, not part of lathe tooling, but can be used when doing lathe work or other machine shop work as well. To put it simply, I wouldn't expect to sell all those items to one buyer and get the best price possible. If I came to buy that lathe, I would want the change gears, the chucks and faceplates, the milling attachment, and it would be nice to get the two boxes of cutters thrown in. Because it was so comeplete, I would expect to pay farly well for it, in the upper range, asuming the lathe itself to be sound. I might have no interest in the box of wood chisels, but another fellow might give you a hundred bucks for them. I probably wouldn't want the mikes and calipers since I am already well equipped but someone would.

If you want to get the most value possible, call some licensed tool dealers in your area. Get offers from them. Get an offer from your customer.
Go on e-bay and try to find the selling price of as many of the items as possible. I don't know how much work you are willing to do to maximise your sale, but you could go to MSC.com, page through the catalog, and try to identify as many items as possible. Some one somewhere will glady pay half price is he happens to need that tool right now. Others will pay 20-30%. Dealers will pay 5-10% knowing they will double there money eventualy. Many of the tools you can sell on e-bay, but give the first buyer a chance to bid on everything. The lathe, with half the tools you posted is worth between $1000 and $2000 to an end user in my area.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,
I'm new here and am desperately needing some advice. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I posted a thread a few days ago regarding this lathe and tooling, I'm starting a new thread as I have more info now and I re-sized the pictures of the tooling.
If you want to see Large Pics Click Here

I have a lathe I'm selling and I have a buyer, what I need to know is, what is a fair asking price for this lathe / tooling? It is in excellent condition, it is a Craftsman 101.07403 and I have literally hundreds of parts both wood and metal; chucks, gears, cutters, milling attachments...on and on

This was one of my father's lathes and he was meticulous with his work shop and tooling. He had tons of tooling, some of it he picked up in Germany during WW2. My buyer thinks I'm a 'dumb girl' who will let the lathe and tooling go for a few hundred bucks, I don't want to gouge anybody but I want to get a fair price for both of us. My father would roll over in his grave if I sold it for peanuts. I know a little about lathes, but mostly my job was to sweep up the metal or wood shavings as needed :P , so I desperately need advice from the experts here.
I know it is a lot of pics to look at, Thank You in advance to anyone who has the time to help me with this. :wub:

My question is why do you want to sell your father's lathe and tooling? This could turn out to be a big mistake as you will never be able to replace these tools. Do you have any children or other releatives that these tools could be passed on to? Someone in the family that could put these back to work? I would not sell my Father's if there was any way to avoid it but this is just my humble advise. Armand

That sure looks like an Atlas 10-F under the Sears lable.

Yes indeed. Sears marketed the Atlas for a good many years.

I got my 10-F for $600. It was in quite poor shape. Took me a couple weekends to get it into usable condition. Came with no tooling whatsoever.

I can't imagine charging less than $1000 for that excellent package of your father's, Riosom.