I Forge Iron

angle iron

smithworks

Hello All,

I am looking for a good amount of heavily pitted angle iron. Preferably 1"X1"X1/4" or slightly larger. I check the local scrap yards here and there but mostly only find small pieces from some fab company that are only just rusty. Ideally I am hoping to find a supply that someone had just sitting on racks outside for the last 20 years. If they don't need a lot of work straightening I would be willing to pay almost new prices for them. I would be willing to buy 100+ feet. Also, if anyone thinks this post would be better posted under another category please advise. Thanks.

I use pitted ''boiler plate'' occasionally , mostly for fireplace surrounds, and that can be tough to find. At least a passable substitute can be made in a power hammer...........An option not really fesable with angle iron......Maybe some alternatives would be to find some plate , cut it into strips and have it formed in a press break, or textured strip the same.........Allot of work, just depends on how bad you gotta have it.............
I'm sure there is a stash of that stuff somewhere........Like looking for a ''needle in a haystack'' though....good luck!.......mb

I agree that you need to search out scrap yards and that you need to let people know where you are. Can't point you in the right direction if we don't know where to start from.

Curiosity killed the cat and since I'm not a cat, I am curious. What are you going to use it for. Just wonderin!

Mark<><

I millwrighted in a dairy a long time ago, I finally got tired of all their crap.. Heeheehee. Anyways, there's a lot of fluids that come out of cattle from the non-milk producing anatomies, If you could get permission to chunk a load of iron in the aweful lagoon of any feedlot or dairy, I'm pretty sure it won't look brand new in a month.

I'm located in Southern Illinois, but I would think that if someone had a pile of pitted angle iron that they could unload for near new prices instead of the 10-15 cents/pound at the scrap yard that they would be willing to ship it to me considering I would also be willing to pay the shipping costs.

I have rusted new angle iron using ferric chloride and muriatic acid by spraying multiple times a day for over a month, and it definitely pitted the steel, but not to the extent that I want. The bit about the "sitting on a rack outside for 20 years" from my original post was not just something I pulled out of the air; I worked for a guy who had exactly that, but he uses it and is not willing to part with it.

I just really like the look of it once it is blasted, blackened, and lacquered for interior furniture. Some of the stuff he had was close to being swiss cheese, but still plenty sound for a bookshelf etc.

You need a source on the coast. Salt spray will do a great job of "aging" and stuff is always getting replaced.

You might check with these folks and see if they have any angle: http://www.oldglobewood.com/index.html

Also check the building demolition contractors in places like St Louis.

Dief a member in the AABA had a demo at his shop showing how to accelerate the rusting process. It electrolysis and people also use this to remove rust from parts also. He accidently reversed the polarity and found out it works great for rusting parts too.

This my tank like his. It has a rebar grid around the inside of the tank. The tank is filled with water and a box of Arm In Hammer Soda Wash. I am sure there is a formula somewhere but a whole box works well in this tank.

The part is suspended from the wood on a chain. You connect a battery charger and attach the positve to your part and the negative to the grid. You will have good rust after 24 hours. At 48 hours you start to get pits. Usually at 48 hours it has been good enough for me. The metal looks like it is really old. This works very well with steel that has mill scale on it angel iron, channel and hot rolled plate. I have not had good luck with new tubing or cold rolled material. He has also experimented with painting designs with oil based paints and using vinyl lettering material. After rusting you remove the material and you have your impression there with no rust in that area.

post-6037-0-04140800-1301695975_thumb.jp