I Forge Iron

Looking for Iron on-line

I'm looking for a supplier of iron. My local shops really frown on my "small" orders, and dang near charge me more in cut fees than the price for the material. And god forbid I don't know what the exact alloy for tool steel is! I'm looking for some 3/8 square, 1/2" square, and other smaller sizes. Anybody able to recommend someone?

You can try here, I know what you mean about cut charges,$2.00 ea at my supplier, I was there yesterday with my cordless sawzall and hot cut. I just buy material in 20 foot sections, 3/4 x 1/4 bar and 5/16 round and I was out of there for $19.00. I do not know why they would frown on you for a small purchase unless you are going to a large supplier like PDM, a sale is a sale. http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm

It really helps if you tell us where you are located.

Have you tried the Yellow Pages and calling not only steel suppliers, but also fabricating/welding shops. In the 1980's that was pretty much who I had to my my stock from. I was very disappointed to find out that a steel warehouse just down the road from my shop would not deal with me for the same reason, too small of quantity. The other frustration is I moved from eastern Ohio to 15 miles from Pittsburgh, Pa. My main steel supplier is Youngstown Pipe & Supply:.http://yopipe.com/ They deliver to my shop for a very modest fee since diesel prices went up, $15.00. They will also cut in half. Youngstown is a little over an hour away and YPS delivers in this area Wednesdays and Fridays. For the very small stuff, such as 1/4" square and smaller, 3/16" by 3/4 flats and smaller, I buy from Erie Concrete and Steel, Warren, Ohio office: .http://www.econsteel.com/ Their prices are better on the small stuff, and they cut and ship via UPS in tubes. I think they handle the sizes you want as well.

I'm looking for a supplier of iron. My local shops really frown on my "small" orders, and dang near charge me more in cut fees than the price for the material. And god forbid I don't know what the exact alloy for tool steel is! I'm looking for some 3/8 square, 1/2" square, and other smaller sizes. Anybody able to recommend someone?

Let us know where you are so someone can point you in the right direction. Talk to any local shops that work with steel and see where they get their supplies. I have a small truck body manufacturer in my area and they will get me what I need if I can't find it anywhere else.

Mark<><

Many small shops may let you piggyback an order with them as they get better price breaks for larger orders too. I buy my steel at a local windmill repair and restoration place---about 1/3 cheaper than at the local lumberyard. The nearest actual steel store is over 50 miles away and often I'll get steel when visiting my parents 150 miles away as the place there has a better selection and much better prices.

Now this is all for mild steel. For specialty steels it's a lot different!

Sorry, totally forgot to mention where I am. I'm in Waukesha, WI. Near Milwaukee for everybody not from WI! :) I tried Midwest Metal Wherehouse, and they were not happy quoting small quantites, and that I really didn't know what I wanted.
"What would you like to order"
"Umm some low carbon steel"
"But what kind?"
"3/8 and 1/2 square, and some rectangle if you have that."
"No sir, what type of low carbon steel?"
"Shoot, I don't know. Cheap?"....

Sorry, totally forgot to mention where I am. I'm in Waukesha, WI. Near Milwaukee for everybody not from WI! :) I tried Midwest Metal Wherehouse, and they were not happy quoting small quantites, and that I really didn't know what I wanted.

What you want for general smithing like hooks, brackets and whatnot is A36 Hot Rolled.
Here's their catalog http://www.midwestmetalonline.com/pdf/Catalog.pdf A36 starts on page 40.

If you dont know what you want then they do not want to waste time. You should know what sizes of bars you want and how many of each. When they ask what kind of steel tell them "hot rolled , mild steel" which is A36.
If you sound like you know what you want then you are more likely to get service. Also find out the name of the salesman and always ask for the same person. They like to get things made from their steel, bottle opener, BBQ fork, keychain, etc.... Dont ask them to cut it and try to save up fo a bigger order, you will always use it.
Call to the supplier should go something like this: Hello steel house, can I help you-Hi my name is Drewed, I would like to buy some steel.- What can I get you- 2 pcs of 3/8 sq, 2 pcs of 1/2 sq and 1 pcs of 1/2 x 1 1/2 solid, all hot rolled.- You mean A36?- Yes"
Pay w/credit card and be there for delivery. About 75 cents a pound average currently in Ca.
Hope this is helpful
Rob

"What would you like to order"
"Umm some low carbon steel"
"But what kind?"
"3/8 and 1/2 square, and some rectangle if you have that."
"No sir, what type of low carbon steel?"
"Shoot, I don't know. Cheap?"....

Ok it looks like you need to work on your terminology, what you are referring to as rectangle should be called out in its dimension like this 1/4 x 3/4 bar stock, check for common sizes and familiarize your self with the proper information before calling, fosterobs call would go well
The place that I shop at they all know my name and I can go though the rack of cut offs to find small pieces if its something I don't need a lot of sometimes I can find a piece that's 4 feet and just get charged for that amount