I Forge Iron

Blacksmith items as "pieces of art".

While buying some beat up blacksmithing items from a fellow here in Salt Lake City, he related his experience with selling a large blacksmith "cone mandrel" on eBay. He said he got a good price for it, but all the blacksmiths bidding on it were ultimately outbid by an artist in New York City. The artist said it would be "displayed" as artwork in his gallery. Another fellow I know has a very high end "petroliana" collection worth several hundred-thousand dollars. He has a 150# Hay Budden, farrier's anvil on a brick pedestal on his grounds. He said he just likes the look of it.

I was taking some pictures of a Champion #40 forge blower yesterday and was struck by the beauty of its pipe-legged stand. I'm not the artsy-fartsy type, but the pure simplicity and functionality of that stand really caught my eye.
tmpphpBVquNU.jpg
tmpphpGO2Hr3.jpg
Of course, the blower is the perfect complement to the stand. Together they really are a work of art.
tmpphpHupKbz.jpg xxxx, I wish I had the phone number of that artist in New York City.

I can understand the beauty in blacksmith tools and can understand that some pieces should be saved in museums for others to see and learn from, but I have a hard time with a usable tool being used as "Art" or placed in a garden. Just me I reckon.

Mark<><

Years ago, a horseshoer/blacksmith friend from Pueblo, Colorado, was driving along the highway and saw two floor mandrels used as entry pillars either side of a driveway. They had chains welded to the top and draping away to connect with front yard fence posts. He contacted the residents and talked them into making a trade. He got the mandrels, and he forged two ornamental posts for them.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

yeah, I've been looking for a cone mandrel for some time now (to use, not display in my living room). They're awfully hard to come by on Ebay. I just don't have that kind of
money to pay a premium for something like that. However I do realize that they're not making the old ones anymore, so you just gotta bite the bullet sometimes. But, for now, I'm still coneless in Texas. Did get a nice large swage block awhile back. A little over 300 pounds, but it was a bit high also, not to mention the shipping. Might make a great end table when I retire!

yeah, I've been looking for a cone mandrel for some time now (to use, not display in my living room). They're awfully hard to come by on Ebay. I just don't have that kind of
money to pay a premium for something like that. However I do realize that they're not making the old ones anymore, so you just gotta bite the bullet sometimes. But, for now, I'm still coneless in Texas. Did get a nice large swage block awhile back. A little over 300 pounds, but it was a bit high also, not to mention the shipping. Might make a great end table when I retire!

The Oklahoma group, http://www.saltforkcraftsmen.org, had some nice, 3' tall mandrels cast as a fund raiser. See their home page for sale information.

The Oklahoma group, http://www.saltforkcraftsmen.org, had some nice, 3' tall mandrels cast as a fund raiser. See their home page for sale information.

Hey Frank, thanks. I've got one of their swage blocks, plus have ordered a few more that friends wanted. However on the cone, I'm wanting to stay "authenic" to retain it's value (and hopefully gain some over the years). I did inquire about the Saltforks cones a while back, and they're very nice and well made (and very reasonable!). I guess part of my hobby is collecting blacksmith items from the past, to have and enjoy. Maybe it's part of my "retirement" package one of these years.
Speaking of Saltfork, I recently re-watched a DVD I got from Roger Degner(sp?) where you put on a 2 day seminar at their place. You are absolutely packed full of information. Is a book in the works? If not, it sure should be, it'll help preserve and carry your legacy.
Speaking of you, I remember reading about a couple of our esteemed brethern, maybe Clay Spencer and another one of the big dogs, watching you at a seminar. After you finished a procedure you were demonstrating, Clay (or whoever) turned to the other smith and said "You have just witnessed a forge-weld in slow motion". I always got a kick out of that. :D

I can understand the beauty in blacksmith tools and can understand that some pieces should be saved in museums for others to see and learn from, but I have a hard time with a usable tool being used as "Art" or placed in a garden. Just me I reckon.

Mark<><

Actually, the anvil I referred to was obtained through a trade and the fellow had it outside his garage on a brick wall. He didn't know anything about anvils (and I'm far from an expert) and he'll probably end up selling it.

Years ago, a horseshoer/blacksmith friend from Pueblo, Colorado, was driving along the highway and saw two floor mandrels used as entry pillars either side of a driveway. They had chains welded to the top and draping away to connect with front yard fence posts. He contacted the residents and talked them into making a trade. He got the mandrels, and he forged two ornamental posts for them.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Frank, I'd say your friend got the better of the deal. I'm more of a collector than a smither so can you tell me what the mandrels are used for? I see them on eBay and they always fetch a nice price. Thanks for your input, Alan.

I like the stand by itself visually. I will definatly buy a tool just for the industrial aesthetics of the thing but its even better to make art with art! B)

DD, I agree. The legs remind me of a table I saw once on Antiques Roadshow. This table had four legs that swept out in the same manner as the stand. I believe it was a type of card table where the top could pivot down so it didn't take up as much room when not in use. Thanks for the input, Alan.

Frank, I'd say your friend got the better of the deal. I'm more of a collector than a smither so can you tell me what the mandrels are used for? I see them on eBay and they always fetch a nice price. Thanks for your input, Alan.

A welded ring is made round by dropping it over the mandrel and keeping it parallel with the base. Then you beat the daylights out of it.

Hey Frank, thanks. I've got one of their swage blocks, plus have ordered a few more that friends wanted. However on the cone, I'm wanting to stay "authenic" to retain it's value (and hopefully gain some over the years). I did inquire about the Saltforks cones a while back, and they're very nice and well made (and very reasonable!). I guess part of my hobby is collecting blacksmith items from the past, to have and enjoy. Maybe it's part of my "retirement" package one of these years.
Speaking of Saltfork, I recently re-watched a DVD I got from Roger Degner(sp?) where you put on a 2 day seminar at their place. You are absolutely packed full of information. Is a book in the works? If not, it sure should be, it'll help preserve and carry your legacy.
Speaking of you, I remember reading about a couple of our esteemed brethern, maybe Clay Spencer and another one of the big dogs, watching you at a seminar. After you finished a procedure you were demonstrating, Clay (or whoever) turned to the other smith and said "You have just witnessed a forge-weld in slow motion". I always got a kick out of that. :D

Thanks for your kind words. A book might be started. Someone threatened to give me one of those mikes that writes it out as you talk. Then all you need to do is edit, especially the extraneous words and cuss words, and "Bob's your Uncle!" I'm gonna keep the corn, though.

I've been doing tai chi since 1981, so the 'slow motion' at the forge is relaxation, body mechanics, and hitting where it ought to be hit. It is more apparent than real.

although all things made by smiths can be considered as art, being the craft itself is an art form but i have a hard time seeing a perfectly good peice of equipment wasted, that blower could be use to make 100's of artsy things for instance, to me its counter productive i guess...if i drive by a place that has blacksmithing equipment in there yard as ornaments i have no choice but to stop and talk to those poor ppl...maybe even yell lol, cant find tools to save my life and ppl have them displaid in there floor beds....

although all things made by smiths can be considered as art, being the craft itself is an art form but i have a hard time seeing a perfectly good peice of equipment wasted, that blower could be use to make 100's of artsy things for instance, to me its counter productive i guess...if i drive by a place that has blacksmithing equipment in there yard as ornaments i have no choice but to stop and talk to those poor ppl...maybe even yell lol, cant find tools to save my life and ppl have them displaid in there floor beds....

I'm totally against perfectly good blacksmithing equipment put on display in someones yard! I hate to think that could become a trend, but I could see it happening. People like you who are using the vintage equipment are keeping the art of blacksmithing alive. In this age of Harbor Freight junk it's refreshing to see machinery that has survived for so long and is still functional.

I completely love the Idea of putting a flawless model on display for learning purposes. But most of the time it seems a giant waste.
I shudder to think that a cone mandrel would sit unused. I say we get a mob together and liberate it from is artsy prison!