I Forge Iron

Will Coal Forge "Contaminate" Your Metal For Bladesmithing?

Curtis565

Was talking to a good friend of mine about my adventures so far with creating a forge to start my blacksmithing journey. I mentioned that I'd be using coal for the heat. He stated that coal can "contaminate" the metal, and to use charcoal (not your wallmart brand X of course) instead for crafting blades. I was just curious if there was any truth behind this? Is that what coating your metal with borax is suppose to prevent, contaminates from using coal to forge?

Hopefully someone can shine a little insight into the subject.

charcoal/coal both have the same ability to add or remove carbon. I have noticed that the thing to worry about with the choice of fuels is its sulfur content. Nickel seems to want to soak up this stuff and that can mess it up. I use low sulfur coal, Seawell seam in W.Va, Other than that, using proper forge maintenance should allow most any standard fuels to be used safely. But I do agree that real charcoal (not briquettes) is a very clean fuel.

Sulfur is the bad guy, plenty in coal even low sulfur coal; BUT if you coke it properly before it gets near the metal almost all of that will go away. One reason bladesmithing is considered an advanced skill as you need good fire control---don't over heat/underheat, clean fire, as few heats as possible and great hammer control not to mention that quite a few knifemaking alloys laugh at you when you hit them with a hammer!

As was mentioned, coal, if properly coked before you stick the metal in the fire works fine. The coking process burns most of the impurities out so they aren't a problem.
As for the borax, it is generally used when welding as a flux. The flux helps keep oxygen out of the weld area and helps remove the scale that would make it harder to weld. I've read of people using borax as an anti-scaling compound under the idea it keeps oxygen from the surface of the steel.

ron

• 3 weeks later...

Coal is a very good fuel for knives if- as everyone has said- it is coaked down. A good clean fire is what you are looking for. No yellow smoke clouds billowing from the fire. I've understood that charcoal is an EXCELLENT fuel, but my forge isn't set up to properly use it. I have done it by using fire bricks to create a little "furnace."

And I totally agree with Thomas about certain steels laughing at you when you hit them. It can be discouraging when you first start out.

Eric