I Forge Iron

Is this anvil salvagable?

Alan:

I don't want to hurt your feelings buddy but you are making one of the most common and worst mistakes a beginner can make. You don't know what you need to do good work yet and you're already modifying the tools. The all too natural mistake you're making is thinking you need the perfect setup before you can start smithing.

So far you've spent more time making your forge clean and pretty than you have forging iron. Now you want to spend all kinds of time trying to make your anvil the way you THINK it should be and you don't even know how to use it yet. There's not a thing wrong with your anvil that an hour or so with an angle grinder won't correct. shine it up, build a fire and start using it.

Maybe I'm just a "hobbyist" but I've been smithing for more than 40 years and I didn't get an anvil as nice as your's for the first 25 and I made that one. On a bet I forged a set of wood chisels from a found coil spring using a camp fire, channel locks, a cold chisel, 2 files, 2lb driller's hammer, a 3lb single jack and a smooth boulder. I made two flat chisels and two gouges, start to finish in two evenings after work. That includes hand filing the edges and honing them razor sharp on my oil stone. Oh yeah, add the oil stone and a quart of motor (heat treating) oil to my tool list.

I got heat here abouts for telling a fellow he only needed practice to "perfect" a piece but I'm going to tell you the same thing anyway. You need to build a fire and get to work; perfect tools don't make the smith. And if you guys keep screwing with that fine old tool you're going to ruin it. From what you've said so far, none of you guys know enough to rebuild it properly.

I hope you don't take any of this wrong, I just don't want to see you ruin a fine old tool and lose out on smithing time in the process.

Frosty

Seriously folks, remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder regarding tools the opposite sex and pets. Functionality is in the hand of the craftsman. If Alan wants to experience and learn about how to repair and refurbish and anvil then we will do it, (and post for all of you to see as well). If he decides not to, and just use it as is, then so be it.

Right you are Scott.

It was late last night and I'm still adjusting to night shift. I certainly could've worded my reply to his question differently. I wouldn't have changed my answer just worded it differently. I'm more used to discussing this subject with new comers face to face.

It's Alan's anvil to use and do with as he pleases and I shouldn't criticize a person's desire to have attractive tools and equipment. Heck, I paint and pinstripe most of mine.

Frosty

All I know is this whole business has left a bad taste. I think not having an edit function is wrong, lord knows after I have posted I have gone back to rephrase something. I believe most all people have the best interest in the site at heart. To me, to take away the function based on one individual instance is shortsighted. If it continues to be a problem, then address it. That said however, this isn't my site so I can't make that decision. Perhaps in the future one of the upgrades will be the ability to edit for a period of time... let's say for an hour, after which, you would need an admin to re-edit your post or make a new post on the subject explaining your position.

Criticism's, even when meant helpfully, can be easily misread by an individual. Perhaps a PM would have been more helpful in this instance, perhaps not.:confused: I know I have learned a lot of information on blacksmithing on this site already. Everyone here has been helpful. :D But I have never seen so many threads hijacked in my life! :cool:

To the Admin's thanks for the hard work, but don't let this one instance color how you treat the rest of us. We happen to be on your side.:)

Back to that anvil: hmmm stocky, fairly short horn, no pritchel, rather small hardy hole; could be an early one and does look to be one where welding might be indicated on the face if you want to use it further

But first make sure it's not a cast iron anvil. I have seen some that "looked early" that were fairly (within the last 50 years) recent cast anvils for low duty use.

Thomas