I Forge Iron

Dragon Hall Table

Do you do the long mouth slit with some form of band saw? I now have a hot chisel for doing small animal ears and teeth but I haven't had a chance to try any long cuts like those ears and mouth. I would like to someday see a demo of how to do those long ears if they're chisel cut. I went to Dan Boone's pasture party just a couple of weeks ago and I think your dragons look just as nice. Thanks for the pictures. Spears.

That is just an incredibly nice bit of work!
I especially like pieces where people who actually look at the things that surround them are rewarded for taking a closer look.This is a stellar example of this.Most folks would just put the coffee mug down on the end table as they sit down.The observant person will be surprised and say "WOW,dragons! where did THAT come from?"
Be sure this gets seen by as many people as possible before it get tucked away in some lucky person`s home.Pieces like this are what bring you the work.

PS- the color changes are an outstanding touch too.
Thanks for sharing these.

I have never been fast and don't do well at "how many heats" the dragon heads each take me 4-6 hours from start to finish. I cut the ears with a sharp slitting chisel and each takes me several heats. I cut the mouth with a bandsaw.
I thought about a copper wrap or a collar with flypress work to cover the arc weld but opted to leave it visible. I ground the welds but did not polish them because the legs have a hammered texture but perhaps I need to rethink that.

Wonderful design and great execution!

I would like to see the arc weld dressed a bit more though, it detracts from such a great job of forging---perhaps cover it with a brass wrap?

Tommy, I've been looking for some of that (brass wrap) but haven't found any so far. I thought about buying brass or copper sheet, very thin, and having it sliced into about 3/8" pieces, and use that for wrapping around areas like you're talking about. Do you know of a source for the brass wrap??
Robert

Don't know who Tommy is save for my Father who is still called Tommy by the family in his mid 70's. I'm Thomas or to family---Tom-boy in my mid 50's.

I get most of my non-ferrous materials from the local non-ferrous scrap yard, they often have neat rectangular copper wire from old large transformers. The brass was there off and on.

OTOH you could always buy brazing rod and anneal it and wrap with it.

Don't know who Tommy is save for my Father who is still called Tommy by the family in his mid 70's. I'm Thomas or to family---Tom-boy in my mid 50's.

I get most of my non-ferrous materials from the local non-ferrous scrap yard, they often have neat rectangular copper wire from old large transformers. The brass was there off and on.

OTOH you could always buy brazing rod and anneal it and wrap with it.

Well I sure did didn't I (address you as Tommy). Didn't even realize it at the time. I tried the welding rod bit years ago, squishing it in my
Say-Mak, but it work hardens of course, and as I'd try to anneal it in the forge I could
watch pieces of it fall onto the forge floor from getting to hot. Then I'd run it through faster, wouldn't anneal. Got frustrated and said no more.

• 2 months later...

Good news. I entered this and another piece into a juried art show at the Swope Art Gallery. 320 pieces entered, 65 chosen for the show. This piece made it in the show. I've never been in a gallery let alone been in a show. If my mom was still with us she would be proud
http://www.swope.org/sammyblog/2011/2011-wabash-valley-juried-exhibition/#content