I Forge Iron

Crosses from RR spikes

Last Monday I had a few hours off so decided to try something new. For me anyway. They worked out really well and I was really pleased with how they turned out. So were two others so the two I finished went as gifts.

post-14490-0-60380500-1299720383_thumb.jUpsetting the head in the hardy hole
post-14490-0-39832500-1299720399_thumb.jMaking first cut and Bending to accomidate the second cut
post-14490-0-88399000-1299720419_thumb.jThree stages of spike
post-14490-0-70875000-1299720440_thumb.jFinished cross
post-14490-0-95007700-1299720458_thumb.jTextured
post-14490-0-41225600-1299720475_thumb.jThree stages again

Had a really good time making these. A challenge for my limited experience but great practice. Coated with bees wax I got from a friend that raises the little critters. Got some honey too!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! This was not my idea to make them from RR spikes. I saw it here on a previous post from another blacksmith. I have very few origonal ideas.

Mark
<º((><

Edited by Marksnagel

What distance is your white mark from the tapered end?

cross.bmp

Hope this helps. Not all dimensions are allways the same. So long as the length of the top and the arms are the same it works ok. The length of the white line at the foot rest is as long as you want it to be. I have different size spikes so it may vary. I'll post some pics of the bending process (this weekend) for anyone that hasn't done it before. It's kinda hard to get a visual of whats going on. Sorry I didn't take any pictures while bending out the arms and top but I was just so happy it worked. All my cuts are with a hacksaw which is why I had to bend the bottom at the foot rest. But the neat thing about hot stuff is it bends back! Have fun!

Mark<><

Very impressed! Very nice! No I'm not gona try it! LOL I only have four spikes left.

I picked up about 20 last time I was down in Georgia. I should have got a TON more because they had just got done tearing the old tracks out. I could have gotten 100's they were piled up everywhere. :angry: In the "great" common wealth of Kentucky they've resorted to using concrete ties! I've got a fealing it is going to be a while before those rot out! LOL

Anyway, looks like a neat idea! How did you cut them? Hack, reciprocating, or band saw?

Anyway, looks like a neat idea! How did you cut them? Hack, reciprocating, or band saw?

Dave, Hearing that you like them made my day. I am always impressed with your endeavors. All the cuts are made with a hacksaw. Slow cutting as it takes time for me to make them straight but it's a labor of love :D .

J, I got the idea from another members post on IFI. I am sorry that I can't recall who it was but they deserve the credit for the cross idea. The thought of using the hardy to upset the bottom just looked like it would work so maybe that was my one origonal idea.

"Necessity, the mother of invention" George Farquhar

Last Monday I had a few hours off so decided to try something new. For me anyway. They worked out really well and I was really pleased with how they turned out. So were two others so the two I finished went as gifts.

post-14490-0-60380500-1299720383_thumb.jUpsetting the head in the hardy hole
post-14490-0-39832500-1299720399_thumb.jMaking first cut and Bending to accomidate the second cut
post-14490-0-88399000-1299720419_thumb.jThree stages of spike
post-14490-0-70875000-1299720440_thumb.jFinished cross
post-14490-0-95007700-1299720458_thumb.jTextured
post-14490-0-41225600-1299720475_thumb.jThree stages again

Had a really good time making these. A challenge for my limited experience but great practice. Coated with bees wax I got from a friend that raises the little critters. Got some honey too!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! This was not my idea to make them from RR spikes. I saw it here on a previous post from another blacksmith. I have very few origonal ideas.

Mark
<º((><

Mark I have always been lost when it comes to this cross. I don't know whether it's just brain flatulation or what. I have seen several diagrams of it being done, (never a vid or someone in person). And I just don't get it,,when I do I know I will feel sillier than I do now. After the second cut,,,the lights go out for me. It looks like a great project and I have always wanted ta do em.. tnx

Hey Braedon,
I know how you feel. Until I actually got one done it was like rocket surgery and I was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Once you do one it is like a lightbulb goes off in your head and beams of light stream from the sky and little bunnies are ..., wait, no, sorry, thats something else. But really, when you do one it is like you should have known it all along.

I'm going to make some more this afternoon and will take some more pics and try to do a step by step thingy and post it here. Hope I can help. Give me a few hours and I'll re-post.

Where are you located in Ohio? There may be a smith nearby.

Mark<><

Hey Braedon,
I know how you feel. Until I actually got one done it was like rocket surgery and I was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Once you do one it is like a lightbulb goes off in your head and beams of light stream from the sky and little bunnies are ..., wait, no, sorry, thats something else. But really, when you do one it is like you should have known it all along.

I'm going to make some more this afternoon and will take some more pics and try to do a step by step thingy and post it here. Hope I can help. Give me a few hours and I'll re-post.

Where are you located in Ohio? There may be a smith nearby.

Mark<><

I am in Perrysburg,,Bad creek Blacksmith isn't too far from me, (in delta), and he has invited me to attend meetings,,,but life keeps gettin in my way. I am definetly going ta attend some now that spring is here. But your diagram made that bunny,,,,no wait,,I went of course!!!! why didn't I see that before? lol.. tnx again mark

• 5 weeks later...

Dave, Hearing that you like them made my day. I am always impressed with your endeavors. All the cuts are made with a hacksaw. Slow cutting as it takes time for me to make them straight but it's a labor of love :D .

J, I got the idea from another members post on IFI. I am sorry that I can't recall who it was but they deserve the credit for the cross idea. The thought of using the hardy to upset the bottom just looked like it would work so maybe that was my one origonal idea.

Looks like a great craft selling item. Any suggestions on selling price?
"Necessity, the mother of invention" George Farquhar