I Forge Iron

brown coloring for mild steel

TRIPP

I AM LOOKING FOR A FORMULA OR PROCESS TO COLOUR OR STAIN MILD STEEL A BROWN COLOUR. IT IS A COFFEE TABLE PROJECT WITH VINES AND LEAVES UNDER A GLASS TOP. I HAVE A 20"S MACHINEST MANUEL WITH SOME IDEAS BUT SOME OF THE NEEDED STUFF IS NOW ILLEGAL TO BUY IN CANADA. HOPE SOME OF YOU GUY"S HAVE SOME IDEAS OTHER THAN PAINT. IF THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO I CAN DO THAT BUT WOULD PREFER TO HAVE IT LOOK OLD RATHER THAN "MADE" TO LOOK OLD. THANKS STEVE

There is an all purpose product for sealing ironwork (and just about anything else) that works hot or cold:

1 part wax (beeswax is mentioned specifically, but I have used paraffin)
1 part turpentine
1/2 to 1 part boiled linseed oil

You can use volume or weight since the density of these products are similar, and this recipe has a lot of leeway.

*note on safety: if you can smell turpentine you are above the OSHA upper limit for exposure. Please make and use this in a well ventilated space.

Melt the wax in a double boiler, take the entire double boiler outside and add turpentine and linseed oil. Transfer to a storage container while still liquid. If you use 200g as one part it should fit into a 1qt paint can. This makes a paste that is clear, and can be "cooked" to make black.

To get brown, clean your ironwork, then patina it using vinegar, urine, or some other agent that will cause controlled rusting. Neutralize the rust, then apply the paste wax to seal it, then buff to a desired gloss level. You end up with a leathery glossy looking finish that will have natural inconsistencies.

I recommend practicing on some test pieces to see if this is the color and finish you desire. Best of luck and please post pictures.

I would like to know what the recipe in the machinist manual is.

Phil

I AM LOOKING FOR A FORMULA OR PROCESS TO COLOUR OR STAIN MILD STEEL A BROWN COLOUR. IT IS A COFFEE TABLE PROJECT WITH VINES AND LEAVES UNDER A GLASS TOP. I HAVE A 20"S MACHINEST MANUEL WITH SOME IDEAS BUT SOME OF THE NEEDED STUFF IS NOW ILLEGAL TO BUY IN CANADA. HOPE SOME OF YOU GUY"S HAVE SOME IDEAS OTHER THAN PAINT. IF THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO I CAN DO THAT BUT WOULD PREFER TO HAVE IT LOOK OLD RATHER THAN "MADE" TO LOOK OLD. THANKS STEVE

Some years ago I had a customer from the western part of the country for whom I did "rustic ranch hardware" (pulls, hinges, etc with a western motif). She wanted a brown finish and we ended up using rust. First, I soaked the pieces in acid to remove all scale, followed by alternating soaks in a brine solution and drying. After several dips in the brine and after drying I just wiped the surface lightly with a cloth and sprayed them with urethane. Hanging them over the wood stove in the winter accelerated the oxidation process. She and her customers were happy with the result and it was brown...just not my choice of color for iron.

Japan Brown from Sculpt Nouveau give a beautiful brown. Spray it on, let dry, coat with Permalac.

or

Brush with muriatic (pool) acid and then spray with hyrogen peroxide (from the first aid section of any store). Rinse when you get the desired color, let dry and then coat with Permalac.

I like leaving some scale on the work. It will not stain as much resulting in brown with some light black areas. A very organic look.

THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS, I WILL TRY ALL OF THEM THE RECIPE FROM THE OLD BOOK IS 1 ONCE COPPER SULFATE, 1 ONCE SPIRIT OF NITRE (ILLEGAL HERE) 1 PINT OF DISSTILLED WATER, SEVERAL COATS OVER SEVERAL DAYS AND ADD ARSEIC TO THE LAST COAT. THEN USE THE LINSEED BEESWAX, TURPENTINE MIX FOR A FINISH. THE BOOK I HAVE IS MACHINERY"S SHOP RECEIPTS AND FORMULAS COPYRIGHT 1911 BY THE INDUSTRIAL PRESS. GREAT BOOK WITH OVER 400 LITTLE TIPS FOR ALMOST ANYTHING TO DO WITH METAL STEVE