I Forge Iron

Just found a Beverly Shear

Michael

I just found this yesterday at a garage sale for $40. Had to undo the lags holding it to the bench with slipjoint pliers, no wrenches left in this garage! So far I've been playing like a kid with those fancy scrapbook scissors, cutting shapes, trying different gages of sheet, this thing makes scrapers out of trashed sawblades like nobodies business.

From the interwebs I get its the smallest Beverly Shear, a B1 and the product specs say 14 gage mild, 18 gage stainless, but can I cut bar stock with this? The blades should be hi carbon, can a shear handle hot work? I do have a couple of sheet metal projects in the pipeline, and the B1 doesn't take up much space.

I'm wondering is there a blacksmithing application for this tool(Latch plates maybe?) and any advice on how not to mess it up? I've seen one or two at the flea market that were abused into boat anchors and left to rust.

Thanks,

Michael-loving a cool new/old tool

post-182-0-40676500-1298830766_thumb.jpg

WOW! $40.00 is a great deal. I have one and use it for all types of work. Some might cringe when they hear this but I have used mine for hot cutting like in the Dave Manzer DVD for making feathers. Works great! The hot steel is not on the tempered blades long enough to get it that hot and I just cool it with water if I am doing alot.

I just found this yesterday at a garage sale for $40.its the smallest Beverly Shear, a B1

Fantastic bargain!!! They sell for $536 new. I have both an SS3 and a B3 Beverly that I've had for almost 30 years. That B1 will be real handy for cutting out patterns that you can use with hot work or for trimming light hinges-H, H&L, butterfly, cockshead, etc., for cutting circles to use as drip pans under candle cups, for cutting out parts for forged roses or other flowers, and any of a million other uses you will discover over time. According to Beverly, your shear has a capacity of 14 ga. mild steel or 18 ga. stainless. Once you get used to feeding it, you can do some really complicated curves. As to cutting bar stock, unless you have some 18 ga. square bar, don't do it. You risk seriously nicking the blades. I would also stick to using it cold. For one thing, it's pretty hard to follow lines drawn on hot steel anyway and for another, you risk ruining the blades. Random cooling with cold water leaves you with an unknown temper and replacement blades are not cheap. If you need more capacity, look for a bigger shear or if you just want to lop off hot steel, there are other, better choices for shears. Factory sharpening will run about $40 and new blades are just north of $100. They are difficult to properly sharpen yourself because of the compound curve that makes them work so well. There are a couple set screws on the left side of the base that determine blade clearance and these need to be set properly for the tool to work as designed.