I Forge Iron

Old Lead Pipe

Worth keeping? Depends. Is $17 to $23 worth keeping? Know any black powder afficionados you can barter with? Fishermen? Plumbers?

Sorry, I meant worth keeping myself. Is there any reason I'd want to keep it because it would be useful for something in blacksmithing. Thanks for the black powder idea.

Mark

Lead is fantastic for backing when doing raised metalwork or repousse and can be reheated and flattened as the work progresses. Just melt and pour it into pieces of wide channel iron with the ends blocked. As has already been mentioned it works well for dead blow hammers or casting your own bullets. I have several hundred pounds stashed away.

i have always heard and wondered about the old saying "a lead pipe cinch" now you got half of it what is a cinch?

A "cinch" is a sure thing so I`m guessing that the task in question would be a sure thing as long as you used a lead pipe to accomplish it.A "lead pipe cinch" was something that could lead to matching SS bracelets and a ride in the back of a cop car if things didn`t go as planned.
Not that I`ve ever been involved in anything of that sort. :rolleyes:

Lead is just one of those "handy things to have around the shop". Used to be quite common before the lead scare. (You do need to take standard precautions using it; especially washing your hands after working with it and before eating, playing with the grandkids, etc.)

I have a few wheel weight blocks for working armour on and some soft lead sheet that's come in real handy for a bunch of odd things---making an adapter for a blower to hard pipe connection for example. Not to mention that lead makes a good weight...