I Forge Iron

is this a good buy??????

hey guys i found this trip hammer for sale it is $500, it not working and will have to be rebuilt and a new motor added. Is this a good buy at the price for a project hammer/first trip hammer????? Keep in mind i do not mind a long project on this but dont wanna waste cash on a never going to work hammer

post-17160-0-69881700-1298173048_thumb.j

post-17160-0-61680300-1298173060_thumb.j

post-17160-0-98070900-1298173072_thumb.j

post-17160-0-80231900-1298173091_thumb.j

post-17160-0-46644300-1298173103_thumb.j

In my humble opinion, if you are a good scrounger and have fabrication equipment and skills, you would do better to spend you money and time building a rusty type (helve spring) or tire hammer. You won't spend much more (if any) money and will have a much better tool for forging.

Have you thought about buying it and then blindfolding yourself, turning in a circle, and then welding more bracing on? LOL That's what it looks like the last user did!

I'd like to have project hammers (or other smithing related equipment) around just to work on if I had spare parts or was just bored. However, I wouldn't pa $500 for a long project hammer.

Build or keep looking! That's my advice!

actually taking a closer look, if someone gave me that, I wouldnt even mess with rebuilding it.............

I found pix of the tire hammer at practicalmachinist.com , but no plans. I was going to pass them along .....................
Maybe you know?
It looks like the perfect low budget tyro hammer........mb

I was never able to find any actuall plans, just a ton of pics............. I never was able to find any plans at all that werent for sale that is absolutely no free ones out there that I could find, but its a fairly strait forward and simple concept, so I didnt look long. The pics posted here of whatever this thing is appear that they are pretty much on the same concept, the frame work just all seems a bit chancy to me, but I am the first to admit I over build most anything.......... ecspecially things that slam up and down with that much force right in front of me.
Maybe the "I wouldnt even mess with rebuilding it" statement was a bit harsh, let me refraise that......... If it was givin to me, and I had a motor handy, I would slap it together to see what it does, but no way id spend any significant money on it. Now if you were interested in building a tire hammer, and you could get it for cheap, and I mean really cheap, then there may be some parts on it worth salvaging.

No free tire hammer plans! That's good! When you buy the plans you agree not to give them, loan them, or copy them ever at all for anyone!

If someone wants the plans for building one they are pretty cheap for what they are! $30.00 plus shipping, when I bought mine and I would think it is the same now. PM me if you want the plans as I can put you in the way of getting them from Mr. Clay!