I Forge Iron

Woodworkers' holdfast

Looking good.

One of my layout tables is assembled of heavy 2' wide channel iron. The channels already had uniformly spaced 7/8"D holes in them, so we have a bunch of similar holdfasts for the steel table. We tapered the ends a little, but we left out the "leaf part." Our terminology may not be exactly correct, but we usually refer to these as dogs. When my helper and I are working at the table, we're often hollering at each other, "Dog it down!"

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Mr. Turley... I have only been smithing about three years. However, I have been doing some type of woodworking as long as I can remember II found it really interesting that the woodworkers holdfast is the blacksmith's dog. Woodworkers call the wooden pegs inserted into the benchtop to help hold a workpiece on place a "dog". Thanks for the info. bart

One of my layout tables is assembled of heavy 2' wide channel iron. The channels already had uniformly spaced 7/8"D holes in them, so we have a bunch of similar holdfasts for the steel table. We tapered the ends a little, but we left out the "leaf part." Our terminology may not be exactly correct, but we usually refer to these as dogs. When my helper and I are working at the table, we're often hollering at each other, "Dog it down!"

The handles that surround a watertight door on ships that are used to secure it and make it watertight are called "dogs". They do the same job as a holdfast where they apply pressure to the door against a gasket. When the door is shut and secured it is said to be "dogged". There are different levels of securing a ship called "conditions". For example "Dog Zebra" means to "dog down" or secure everything.
Just found it interesting thats all. It brought back memories when I heard them called dogs. Too many years aboard a ship. :blink:

Mark<><

In the fire department we have hook like devices on the fly sections called ladder dogs. As the ladder is raised to the right height the man at the foot of the ladder facing the building will tell the man extending the fly sections with his back to the building to "dog" the ladder. Once the hooks "dogs" are set the man raising or extending the fly sections will say "ladder dogged"