I Forge Iron

New coal forge next to my parents white house

John Rigoni

Ok, I just welded a decent sized coal forge to use at my parents house. My problem is the coal will coat black soot on the house and to make matters worse the wind blows toward the house. My set up is in their garage with the anvil near the garage door, I have a propane forge that I've used for the last three years. I needed to get the steel hotter so i could practice forge-welding. Any suggestions? I guess I could switch to charcoal, but I just bought a tub of coal and would like to use it.

John, when starting a fire, poke a hole in the top of the coal for the flame to escape and burn the smoke. Good fire maintenance will produce little smoke (after start-up). A chimney will get the smoke up and over the house as well as dilute it with some air. Use all three.

You can check out the forge burner I build. I wrote up the description with pics and a drawing. It's under the Blacksmithing: thread name "Small Gas Forges".

I would've just linked it but don't know how.

Anyway, it's an inexpensive, easy to build burner that will forge weld. Heck, it'll melt your work if you have it turned up and don't keep an eye on it.

Frosty

Edit: link made