I Forge Iron

1018 vs 1045 For Ease of Forging

I am curious which of these two steels are easier to forge, 1018 or 1045?

The reason I ask, is because I wanted to know if it would be easier to use 1018 for slit and drift tomahawks and weld in a bit, or just stay with solid 1" square 1045.

Would there be much difference in how they forge? Would 1018 be easier?

Would one be better for the eye strength?

Thanks
Greebe

1018 is softer because it has very low carbon content it will be easier to forge. 1045 can be hardened in water 1018 will not harden much if all. In all actuality the difference in feel should not be very much 1045 doesn't feel much different than hot rolled IMO. I would use the 1018 for the ax and keep the 1045 to make tools.

How would you soak the 1045 before bringing it up to forging heat? Do you heat it on the other edge of a fire for a while before getting it into the fire?

I will be putting in an order for more metal later this week. The cost difference between the two is about .50 cents a foot. I was just thinking that it would save time not having to weld in a bit on the 1018. Plus then on a hammer pole the hammer end could be hardened as well with the 1045. I just wasn't sure if it was going to take a lot more work forging the 1045 than it would make it worth it vs using the 1018.

Thanks
Greebe

How would you soak the 1045 before bringing it up to forging heat? Do you heat it on the other edge of a fire for a while before getting it into the fire?

Thanks
Greebe

Thats what the air control is for, and rotate the bar letting it get hot right through.