I Forge Iron

Bird on a branch

Steve, It's awesome. Did you happen to get any pictures while you were building it? Or is this where I need to "buy the book".
[/q

I didn't take any pictures in progress. There is a pattern for the bird in Mark's book. It is cut out of 3/16 plate. I transfered the pattern to the plate and cut it out with a torch. Then traced out the bird again and filed to the lines. I cut lines in the wing and tale with a creaser I made from a ball peen hammer. I used about a 3/16 hand fuller to texture between the cut lines. A little bit of dishing to the body and head gives it some depth.

The branch was made from 1/2 x 1. You split pieces off to create the smaller twigs. The backside of the foot is welded to the branch. The big end of the branch is riveted to the ring, and one of the small twigs is welded to the ring on the other side.I don't get to spend much time at the forge. I started this project 3 weeks ago, but only have about 5 hours in it. I work pretty slow. A plasma cutter would have saved about an hour and a half, but I used what I have.

Makr Aspery's books are a great resorce. They are easy to understand, very detailed, and well worth the asking price.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments.

I don't get to spend much time at the forge. I started this project 3 weeks ago, but only have about 5 hours in it. I work pretty slow. A plasma cutter would have saved about an hour and a half, but I used what I have.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments.

I don't get much time at the forge either. I work fast and do have a plasma cutter and still I feel like it takes me forever. Have no worries about the "time it took" thing. I just tell people "you can't rush art". And that my friend IS a fine art piece. Thank you for the picture. Spears.