I Forge Iron

Portable Forges? Coal preferred...

Ezra

My rivet forges are 20" to 22" in diameter. I think anything much larger is a shop forge. I too prefer a hand crank or a great bellows like we use at Ft. Vancouver. I have used electric blowers at a shop where we have the Great Annual Steam-Up here in Oregon and went through much more coal (also burned up a couple of pieces at first). I feel I have more control with hand powered air, and I'm used to it.

6013, I haven't built one out of it yet, still working on my portable/shop/rivet/whatever forge people want to call it. This is about the size I would like to build a portable solid fuel forge out of though, and a brake drum sounds like it will fit inside nicely.

I don't plan to transport my old cast iron forge, I plan to use it mostly at home.

This is fairly close in size to a freon tank.

I do ponder, would gas not be better for portability...but there's something about using solid fuel I prefer, just like my BBQ.

I also have a weber 22 1/2" standard kettle bbq, I've seen folks turn those into forges also. for for portability, the smokey joe has it hands down.

Great video, didn't know it was there. This is actually quite an easy forge to build, but it has a welded frame which the mortar cement is packed around.

That's Scott Thomas, the smith I study under at Ardenwood Forge. There's a couple pics on my website of that exact forge, Scott was talking about making the frames and selling them and showing people how to make one. If you're interested, contact Scott, there's a link on his website.

(linky pic for a few different views)

small_celtic.jpg

I was over at Ardenwood Forge today and told Scott you posted a link to his video.

Interesting to understand the forge. It actually similates how an old celtic forge would have been, in the sense that they would dig a tapered trench in the ground, and use rocks as the sheilds. The oval sides similate the rocks, or how they would have forged.

There is some speculation on side blower vs. bottom blower.

If you look at the pics on my website, you'll see the one of the bottom. There's wire mesh that is wraped around the welded frame, and the mortar is spread over it. The forge is not heavy due to this, and can be picked up by one person.

Scott has another one also, I don't have any pics of it. Just turns out that the video had the one I did snap pics of.

Alan,

As far as I know, all of the early forges (As well as some today) were all side blast air sources, and that is the way I made my "Celtic" forge. Since we can't dig a proper trench forge at every event, I made a portable "hole in the ground forge" to take with me. It weighs about 70 lbs. and gets up to welding heat very quickly. (Using oak charcoal).

Scott

As far as I know, all of the early forges (As well as some today) were all side blast air sources, and that is the way I made my "Celtic" forge. Since we can't dig a proper trench forge at every event, I made a portable "hole in the ground forge" to take with me. It weighs about 70 lbs. and gets up to welding heat very quickly. (Using oak charcoal).
Scott,

Good to see you posting.:)

The design of your forge is really something that may benifit folks, being able to fabricate a similar forge with a little knowledge.

How much would you charge someone to build a basic frame? I think folks would be interested in building forges like them. The other forge back behind the smithy was a bottom blower it seemed, with a shield on the backside of the forge. Was that to simulate a different type of celtic forge? Or were you just playing with design?

They certainly are functional and can be built easily. As easy as many forges.