I Forge Iron

flying to europe with an anvil

I've got friends that have traveled overseas, mission work mostly in Africa and India, and they have to limit their bags to 50#s or pay BIG $ for over weight bags. I would think taking a 95#PW to Europe would be kinda sinseless as anvils are fairly common over there. If mine I'd just take some nice pictures with me! ;)

My brother has flown international with checked and insured tools without problems. It is for his job, and I am sure his kit is reduced in size for these trips.

If you are not selling this anvil, or buying an anvil to take home, I would not fly with an anvil. I would crate the anvil by strapping a bit of plywood to the face and adding some obvious reinforced handles.

Phil

Conor,

As cabin lugage you will be allowed one bag max 7kgs and baggage of 23kg some airlines allow 30kgs(all asuming economy class), you will be allowed extra at about $5.00/kg. from memory 1kg=2.2lb so your anvil might cost more to send than replace!

Have a fun trip! :)

Ian

If I were you I'd buy one when you're there. Ebay UK has plenty listed and you'd not find it hard to sell quickly when you leave. I messed around taking my tools to Australia for a job.I took far too much, things that I never used and that the workshop had anyway. It would have been so much cheaper to buy what I needed there.

Hi Connor,

Don't try to take this as carry-on luggage. You will very likely run into problems with the TSA. Also, the overhead bins are not stressed to hold something like that and the closets are not necessarily available to passengers. If you must have it in Europe with you, you should crate it and ship it; but it will cost extra and will probably be expensive.

I do this stuff for a living (flying) and I pass through security on a regular basis. They have a lot of leeway to be jerks and they tend to take advantage of that. European security folks are not much different. And flight attendants, the arbiters of cabin space, can also be very territorial.

Best, Roger

Okay, maybe it's just the mood I'm in, but this is the first thought that came into my head when I saw the title of the post, "But gawd your arms must be tired..."(insert rimshot here...) :rolleyes: Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Probably would be cheaper and less trouble to buy one there and sell it before you come home.

In the good old days of 1992 (when I wasn't good and I wasn't old), I flew to Barcelona to serve as farrier for the USA endurance team and took tools plus a small anvil. Only thing said was that my luggage came off the plane with large red stickers that said "heavy". I wouldn't even dream of trying that today.