I Forge Iron

Prices and things to come...

I'd like to say something about anvils. There are a good number of posts here on the site about "anvils lasting along time" or "that it will out last your grand children". Well that's what I used to think too,until I spent the last forty years as a professional blacksmith and found that you can start to wear out an anvil in your own life time.
I bought a new German Peddinghaus anvil in 1973(thats 37 years ago)and have used it exclusively for all this time.Let me emphasize that I mean used NOT ABUSED and it is starting to show signs of wear.The off or far edge has of resent years begun to chip, ever so slightly but chip it has.The once sharp edges on the first 4-5" by the horn are wearing rounded and the nearer side of the face where all the peening of latch and hinge cusps are done is showing signs of a slight hollowing.
Now some may think that this would be the sign of a poor quality anvil.I don't think so. It's the sign of a tool that has served and is serving it's intended use.In those 37 years this anvil has been on the receiving end of hammer blows for Tens of thousands of nails,thousands of latches and hinges,and countless different scroll ends.When one thinks of the abrasion of the scale alone against the anvil face it's no wonder some wear is apparent.As far as the chipping goes,the first chip appeared while upsetting a french button on the far side of the anvil.It didn't happen between the hot metal and the edge but to the side of where the work was being down and a small sliver just popped off.What this says to me is that even though nothing but hot metal has been worked on this anvil it will eventually work harden the face under the impact received through the hot metal.
All this said ANVILS DON'T LAST FOREVER or even through the life of a full time smith. All these old PW's that we see or any others that are worn didn't necessarily get that way because they'r 100 years old they easily could have gotten that wear in the first forty or fifty years of their lives.Then of course there are those which after a life in the blacksmith shop were truly abused. Nuff said, just wanted to make a point

i have found the same thing i have a fisher that i have basically put all the wear on it and it is defenetly showing wear ... ive had it for 25+ years and it is my main anvil and i figure it was a little soft but still its showing age It will probably last my lifetime but the next guy will have a well used anvil ... that is to be expected our tools arnt magic to last forever! haveing said that it does take a long time to cause wear and the real big chunks missing from anvils are ether abuse or flaws in manafacture... anyway nuthin lasts forever....

If you look through the old blacksmith advertising you will fairly commonly find companies offering to re-face or reforge anvils. Shoot one of the smiths that's been around here has talked of heating a 150? pound anvil and re working it to deal with slump/edges.

However for most hobby smiths anvils are an heirloom item very seldomly seeing a team of strikers with sledges going to town on heavy work on them for 10 hours a day!

I suspect that relative to earning power, blacksmithing tools [ and tools in general] are cheaper than at anytime in history. That, and the fact that most of them went out of production many years ago, I'm actually surprised that they are not a lot more expensive.

We all want stuff to go for cheap, except for our own work.

I suspect that relative to earning power, blacksmithing tools [ and tools in general] are cheaper than at anytime in history. That, and the fact that most of them went out of production many years ago, I'm actually surprised that they are not a lot more expensive.

We all want stuff to go for cheap, except for our own work.

Well said.

Someday, some decorating guru on TV or a magazine is going to feature an anvil as a "must have" item. Then watch price go up and supply go down. I am still amazed at how many neat anvils keep turning up at auctions, flea markets, tailgating, and on line. Despite war scrap drives and changing technologies, there are still many, many anvils lurking out there.

My grandfather passed at the age of 96. He told me that he used to go to the gun shows and fle markets and he would see things he wanted real bad but the price would be outragus. Then a few years would pass and he would see the same item again and think wow I should have bought that one I saw a few years ago. He then told me If you really want sumthing and your planning on useing it than Look for a good deal and get it if you can. But if a good deal isn't available pay the going price and don't worry about it. I have paid what I considered grate prices for sum of my blacksmithing equipment and what I consider only fair prices for a few things. But in the end I have the things I want and need.

One trick I have noticed for getting a *great* library is to buy all the books on your subject when they come through the local book clearance place---and then wait 10 to 15 years and suddenly you find out that you have all the out of print and hard to find books folks are talking about in your area of interest!

I reread my long post. That was after taking a ambien. Got of track.
I enjoy when friends come by, that know nothing about anything. Hardly. But they just look at the post drills or vices And forges with such amazement. We have band practice at times here And they will look for hours and ask so many questions. On the uses of certain items.
I was lucky to have a family full of smiths. And have most of their tools. So the pride factor is there. But I also enjoy buying things That I didn't get handed down to me. Just to have.
I'm a blacksmith first. But collect things too. If at the right price. Everyone in my town has driven roghit past a Buffalo forge with large cast table and under table gears. Its been setting ten foot off the side of main street for years. I'm trying to buy it from the man. And He wanted $200 for it. Which I thought was high. But I have yet to walk in my shop and not think about it.
About how sick I would be if it was sold or scrapped. Its still got everything but the wooden handle on it. Just needs new legs put on it. Yet I want it so bad. Just to fix

Sorry. Just to fox It back up as a keep sake. To show others and would be a awesome show forge. I inteneded, if I got It. To put it on my trailer and leave it there and do demos For the scouts and at the state park I live beside.
Yet. Although I think about it daily, almost. I hate paying that much for it. I guess the OCD is kicking in. Strange how a piece of equipment can bring So much joy even if you don't use it much.
Yet I worry about a couple extra bucks to save it from its ultimate demise. Its sat there for Years. The man That owns it. Just bought it as a conversation piece For all the guys That come to his gas station And whittle.
So. Please. After all my preaching on how I Don't mind paying to much at times. To get what I want. I am gonna fool around And this man sell it or die on me. And lose it forever.
So. To all my friends on Here. Tell me to go get it. Now. Fix it up like it needs to be and enjoy it. I wanna repaint the blower and clean It up nice.
So,,,,,, y'all get on me and make me go get it. Cause I want be happy till I do. I'd die if it was gone one day. I've even bought paint to repaint the blower. How crazy is That. Trying To not pay more than I think its worth, but allowing the idea of it to control my thoughts.
Guess I've told off on myself. Ha.
I need to take my own advice. Strange how you see stuff and think I'd have bought it for That. But I usually gotta fight with myself to pull the trigger. Its the only one I've ever seen around here.
Y'all don't think I'm crazy, I'm just .........well spirited. Is what my momma called it.
Hope y'all found the humor in my rants. But y'all give me the shivering I need. Please. Ha.