I Forge Iron

First leaf

I know it's far form perfect, but I'm happy with my first one. Tomorrow I'm going to do as many as possible before my family get together. Thinking that if I make enough that looks decent I might try riveting them to a short length of flat stock that is fished tailed on each end.

2191181180106538300IfnMqD_th.jpg

Bit of advice for ya. Keep all the firsts. i have a story board(rough sawn 2X4 With all my firsts (leafs twists
tapers and butter knives. Ya can alwaws do another to show progress.
Ken.

Keep on pounding Duke. My first leaf was about 6 years ago. I was pretty pleased with myself. Since, I have made hundred if not a thousand. They show up on many things I make. With practiced hammer control you will get fast at it and really knock them out.

Once I got into blacksmithing I drifted away from many other hobbies that I thought should be my life's work, especially flying. Sold the plane and built a new shop. There's no turning back.

Nice first leaf. Better than my first leaf by far.

I kept all my first failures and have since realized that they weren't failures, but Steps. They were the first step in a progression towards where I am now. (not that that's far from where I started)

Everything has a beginning and we need to remember where we came from.

Great "first step"!

Mark<><

Nice first leaf. I agree with the others, keep your first. Just like Pat Roy, I have drifted from other hobbies and am only doing blacksmithing. It's the greatest addiction you'll ever love. Welcome to the club. There is no turning back.

Mitch

My wife grabbed the first leaf I ever made and keeps it on her keychain. Its pretty rough and homely but serves as a nice reminder. Currently have about 10 different leaves on a hook over my desk at work, probably another half dozen or so as zipper pulls on various jackets, backpacks and bags and I don't know how many keychains just given away. Leaves are great practice.