I Forge Iron

Kilij?

Roinconcire

I was looking at a few ancient swords the other day and came across a sword called the Kilij. According to The Deadliest Warrior, it is a weapon that could very well rival the Katana. So I was curious if anyone had attempted to forge or has already forged a Kilij for themselves.

"it is a weapon that could very well rival the Katana" ****** with faint praise indeed!

Like the european rapier I have always considered the katana to not be a great battle weapon but more suited to "one on one" affairs. (Look at the role of Ashi, it's necessity indicates to me that the katana is not the go to item in all cases.)

The Killij is a beautiful and complex blade . certainly among my favourite as far as aesthetics is concerned . Despite their shape and angularity they manage to maintain grace .
I have never seen deadliest warrior ,but from all I have heard from it, just helps to spread the disinformation about swords that is so prevalent .
The killij is certainly a lot more Killijy than the Katana , however I would also suggest that the Katana is much much more Katanary than the Killij .
Apples and pears..........

One needs to separate the fact from the fiction. A lot of mythology about certain weapons has gone on for so long that it is taken as fact.

Swords are mostly relegated to ceremonial uses now, so I see no need for one other than just to say you own one. I can appreciate the craftsmanship, or if you are a collector of original historical blades for their history. To me a blade is a tool, nothing more, so give me something I can use.

Now, how would it hold up against something like the Zombie Bane from JPH's smithy? B)

• 1 month later...