I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths and Christmas

I've been thinking lately ... maybe I've been looking at Christmas all wrong all these years.:blink:

As kids we're taught to be nice so that Santa would bring us toys.

But ... as a blacksmith, doesn't it make more sense to keep your self on the naughty list???
I mean ... all the fun of being naughty all year round and THEN getting a stocking full of coal DELIVERED to you on December 25? ;)Sounds like a sweet deal to me :D

I wonder if I could find a 55 gal drum shaped like a stocking ??? :P

Sam

Happy Holidays Everyone

Sorry Sam - doesn't work that way.

I've been naughty every single year for decades . . . . it's never yielded more than one lump per stocking.
Enterprising smiths in generations gone-by probably worked that loophole pretty hard . . . I'm thinking the Jolly ol' Elf's contract has been altered to sew it up tight!

Now, if we got together and were reprehensible as a group, perhaps we could come up with a bulk amount.

I was demonstrating at Pearce Historic Days, a old mining ghost town in southern Arizona in their historic blacksmiths shop the weekend after Thanksgivivng. I was handing out lumps of coal to all the little ones and telling them this is what Santa will bring you if you are not good and if he does bring them some and they are lucky enough to see him to tell him no thank you the blacksmith had already given them some. I also told them they had plenty of time to change there ways before Christmas. The look on their faces were priceless and their parents laughed and thanked me for my help.

lol yes, I tell my friends all year long I can be naughty, as I'm a blacksmith I've got an excuse... so Santa Claus will bring me coal!!

(I'm wondering though if I'm primarily using a gas forge that maybe Santa will drop me a nice 47kg bottle of LPG instead...)

:D

I don't know if I've been naughty or nice but for the last few years the girlfriend's daughter has be giving me 100# of coal for Christmas. Whatever I'm doing, it's working. I don't know which way to go to get her to up the ante to a ton, or even 1/2 ton. Can't complain I guess.

I must've been REALLY bad last year because I got 500 lb from Santa, (well meaning Brother-in-Law), but it was large lump Anthricite. Burns OK with plenty of heat, but it sure ain't Blue Gem. (Too picky I guess)

Dang Yance, I must have been too good. NO coal nor Propane not even a little colmen bottle. Just not good or bad enough I guess.
Ken.

I've threatened my kids if they don't be good then santa will bring them coal for xmas, and then I will take it and use it...all 6 laughed and said "we'll be extra bad so you can have extra coal" i guess that qualoifies them as being good since the focus was giving to someone else....right? lol

I've threatened my kids if they don't be good then santa will bring them coal for xmas, and then I will take it and use it...all 6 laughed and said "we'll be extra bad so you can have extra coal" i guess that qualoifies them as being good since the focus was giving to someone else....right? lol

Edge,

See, there you have them in the Catch 22 of this line of reasoning. :D They are supposed to be bad to get You coal. How does that work again? :rolleyes::unsure:B)

Regards,
Tim

Merry Christmas All!