I Forge Iron

I need a hand crank blower

joshua.M

i need a hand crank blower for my forge im tired of my too strong electric blower i am only 14 snd on a budget i can afford around $100 trying to really make some additions to my small shop but cant seem to find stuff also mabe looking to get a post vice i am looking at a 4" for $100 good deal?
thanks
Josh

i need a hand crank blower for my forge im tired of my too strong electric blower i am only 14 snd on a budget i can afford around $100 trying to really make some additions to my small shop but cant seem to find stuff also mabe looking to get a post vice i am looking at a 4" for $100 good deal?
thanks
Josh

If what you have is too strong, why not just build a baffle to cut down on the air flow? I'm sure if you search you can find simple and effective plans for a baffle.

ron

rob browne, i have some old electrical blower without a speed control that puts out a ton of air witch makes it hard to light my small forge
thomas, wanna send one of those 6" north for $75 got a peter wright? its my fav brand
thanks guys
josh

Is it a DC or AC motor? If DC you can get pulse width modulator kits that will control the speed of the motor. If AC try using a fan speed controller on it.

i really dont know it belonged to a friend of my grandfather who built the forge like 50 years ago i may be able to get some pictures if i can get the camera working i think im going to make a baffle but in the future hopfully sooner than later i want a hand crank blower

i've settled on the idea of an air gate/baffle thanks for the input everyone
by the way i know this isnt the right thread but dose anyone have an idea for a touchmark that has somthing to do with the letters jm and an anvil that i could make
regards
Josh

I made this touchmark myself. You should be able to make an anvil with your initials in it. Just cut off, or grind flat, the end of a punch or chisel, and use a zip disc to carve an anvil shape on the end (carefully). It took a little practice, but I was able to make the hammer shape without too much difficulty. Carve the anvil without heating the blank. Then heat it to a lemon yellow and use reverse-letter stamps to put your initials in the center of the anvil (hold the stamps with a vice grips). You can buy individual reverse letter stamps. I don't remember where I bought mine, but you can Google for vendors that sell them (there may be a minimum $ amount for the sale).

If the reverse letter stamps are cost prohibative, you might be able to use regular letter stamps to make your own reverse letter stamp with your initials on it (both of them), then use that stamp on the anvil. I've thought about doing it, but haven't gotten around to it. The looks of the letters in the anvil would be different, but if you are successful, it might just look cool.

After punching the letters, heat treat.

post-585-0-45362200-1292299547_thumb.jpg

I'm doing my best to bring back vises to NM when I get a chance. If I have any cash left at the end of Q-S I used to buy a vise or two and take back with me to help pay for the trip. I'm a user not a collector, my favorite brand is "good using condition---cheap!"

That little 3"'r I picked up this year is *old*---set up for a tanged mounting bracket; but I still plan to clean it up and use it for a light demo kit.

Anvils: I have a Fisher, Trenton, a couple of Peter Wrights and an Arm and Hammer (not Vulcan!); oh yes also a Steve Parker! I don't discriminate between any of the good brands.

I'm doing my best to bring back vises to NM when I get a chance. If I have any cash left at the end of Q-S I used to buy a vise or two and take back with me to help pay for the trip. I'm a user not a collector, my favorite brand is "good using condition---cheap!"

That little 3"'r I picked up this year is *old*---set up for a tanged mounting bracket; but I still plan to clean it up and use it for a light demo kit.

Anvils: I have a Fisher, Trenton, a couple of Peter Wrights and an Arm and Hammer (not Vulcan!); oh yes also a Steve Parker! I don't discriminate between any of the good brands.

i dont discriminat either but my anvil ia a peter wright 185# so i would like to keep the brands the same (i dont know why) but i need a post vice badly, i have orders for rr spike knives with twisted handles that iv had to turn away because "it has to have the twist to be a real rrspike knife"(dont worry i refered them to this site and all you guys)

Just buy a dimmer switch.. The older kind with a knob.. Its just a rheostat.

I agree. Have an adult that is savy with electricity install a normal light dimmer switch in the power supply. They shouldn't cost more than $5. Just have someone that is knowledgable with sparky things do it. The fire is supposed to glow, not the blacksmith. :blink: :D

I agree. Have an adult that is savy with electricity install a normal light dimmer switch in the power supply. They shouldn't cost more than $5. Just have someone that is knowledgable with sparky things do it. The fire is supposed to glow, not the blacksmith. :blink::D

ya i was talking to my dad about making the air baffle and he suggested buying a reostat and we were looking at some on the computer and couldnt see the keys so i turned the light up and a litle light went off in my head, power supply is 110v dimmer switch hooks into a 110v outlet box and the blower runs on 110v and the dimmer switch is like an electrical air gate, so i baught all the parts and i got a dimmer switch that even has a push on and off... FANCY :P B)