I Forge Iron

Anyone ever build anvil

You haven't given enough info for anyone to give you a reasonable answer. Explain your plan, or at least describe some different alternatives that you've considered. Or ask some more detailed questions. There are several ways one could make an anvil from rail. Some would work. Others wouldn't. Others would be impractical for most of us.

On a sort of side note, when you say "first malable [malleable?] steel project," do you mean your first forging project? If so, I'd tell you that forging an anvil -- even a small one -- is not an appropriate first forging project.

Railroad Tracks are used quite often for making a first anvil. But it is not recommended for extended use.
Most of them are cut out with a torch as opposed to being forged out, especially by hand.
I suggest that you try to make a small one and then post the results.
If it works well, make a bigger one and post the results with photos.
Make sure your skill level is equal to what you may attempt to do.
If you are not a skilled blacksmith and welder, please wait until you have mastered the basics!
Start small.
Your safety comes first. :)
Good Luck!

Railroad Tracks are used quite often for making a first anvil. But it is not recommended for extended use.
Most of them are cut out with a torch as opposed to being forged out, especially by hand.
I suggest that you try to make a small one and then post the results.
If it works well, make a bigger one and post the results with photos.
Make sure your skill level is equal to what you may attempt to do.
If you are not a skilled blacksmith and welder, please wait until you have mastered the basics!
Start small.
Your safety comes first. :)
Good Luck!

OK here I go. My first anvil is a total londen pattern made from a RR track. 37 lbs I still have it. used for light
work. It is harder than a A36 block or some "real anvils" I have to ask the nay sayers. Have you the equipment and skills to weld an anvil? Have met too many smiths who say I can't or my dad couldn't. If ya wish to use a substandard tool out of fear go for it. I prefer to fix broken horns,raggedout edges and torch cuts. Gpaw also taught
any one can killa deer with a 52 cal can ya do it with a 25? It's not what ya got it's how ya use it. Have seen too many shops with P hammers cannot do what a real smith can do by hand. Sorry I get cranky when it's late and cold
15F now.
Ken.

Ken, I think I just got my ears scolded a bit. I am not exactly sure what I said to set you off to make you decide to receive a response that was meant for someone else and not to you personally.
My response was not meant to be derogative in any way, and it was directed only to that specific person who brought up an issue that contained very little detail and who had also asked for an opinion
It was in no way directed to you personally or about your ability to do a lot with a very little.
Many people do so very much with so very little and I feel that is admiral.
I have followed many people who still visit this site that started out with virtually nothing but desire, a brake drum, hair dryer, a pair of pliers, a claw hammer, and a piece of railroad track. No shame in that, in fact I have a high regard for people who have done that.
Many have turned out to be highly skilled craftsman that add a lot of good information for us that are still learning.
I believe when someone asks for an opinion on this site that there is nothing wrong to give an opinion on this forum as long as it is done in a constructive and an informative manner, and not with a mean spirited approach.
If people respond to the forum in a negative and an emotional way, it may tend to keep other people from freely giving there opinions about skills and safety issues.
It was my understanding that this forum was meant to be a family forum that was to be educational, interesting and enjoyable.

Bottom line, I did not mean to offend you, but I would be interested in hearing more about the things you have accomplished in the blacksmithing craft. I believe you brought up a good point about skill overcoming lack of high end tools and equipment.
I have been there done that. But I would be interested in learning more about anything you may share with us!
I hope you will not take what I say as a personal insult, it is not meant to be that.
Ted T

I started w/ a piece of railroad track, just using it as-cut. I now have two "real" anvils, and still keep the rr track in use, STANDING ON END, for when I want a small surface to hit, Provides a lot of mass under the hammer. Jock Dempsy has some designs here, though I would try it as-is rather than investing alot of time in the anvil instead of forging some other projects.

http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/RR-rail_anvils.htm

ps. I don't see why Ken's comments referred to Ted's or why he quoted Ted. And I didn't see that Ken was flaming Ted all that much. Calm down, guys.

Just wait till Thomas chimes in, and informs us why the original question is all wrong, and insufficient to answer.

Doubtless he wants to melt rail and cast an anvil from it. Should be a pretty good one from the alloys generally used for rail *IFF* the melting is handled so as to not mess up the material---say a nice induction furnace in a vacuum system; (and a proper heat treat is done on it of course...) I assume if he didn't plan to melt and cast it he would have mentioned it in his original question!

Does that satisfy you Dave?