I Forge Iron

Anyone use a Big Blu forging hammer?

KYBOY

Im thinking of picking up one of their 3 1/2" pound cross peins and was wondering what folks thought of them? So far Ive heard good things from the big blu hammers but Id lke to hear a little more. I havent run across many folks who have one. Thanks

I have two a slash pein and 3 1/2 -4 lb rounding hammer old style (square) both are nice
the finish is nice the handle is the same type as the Hofi one would expect that as Hofi showed them how to make his style they just expanded it to meet the American market,from what I can see.

kyboy,

I have all the different sizes of the hand hammers from big blue. I enjoy using them all and they handle great. You can swing them all day long and barely feel it. They are well balanced and come with a good handle length and the heads are ready to use out of the box but you will probably want to touch them up to your personal preference. Do you use a three pound hammer now? The reason I ask is that with these hammers I find myself using the 2 lb hammer 90% of the time. You can just whip that thing and get great results working with 5/8 and below steel. Now if you work heavier stuff by hand alot then I would get the 3 pounder.

Anyhow give them a call and get ya some! Josh will probably answer the phone and he is a real good guy and will help you out.

Sam,

He posted "So far Ive heard good things from the big blu hammers but Id like to hear a little more. I haven't run across many folks who have one."

I thought my post was clear? I think many people would rather spend that kind of money on an original and licensed Hofi. And I posted about that option.

Thanks guys. I wouldent care a bit to have a Hofi hammer but unfortunatly they are not available all the time. Yes, 3 pounds is my normal forging weigh. I have a 2 pound Champio cross pein that I wouldent take anything for. It swings like an extension of my arm but is a tad light for everything.

Sam,

He posted "So far Ive heard good things from the big blu hammers but Id like to hear a little more. I haven't run across many folks who have one."

I thought my post was clear? I think many people would rather spend that kind of money on an original and licensed Hofi. And I posted about that option.

Spend money? Why not make your own hammer, or hammers? That's what blacksmiths do, right? Forget all this "licensed Hofi" stuff...unless you're a collector, not a smith. Hofi graciously showed us another way to work efficiently, including making the Haberman/Hofi style hammer. There is no need to buy a hammer.

JE

Spend money? Why not make your own hammer, or hammers? That's what blacksmiths do, right? Forget all this "licensed Hofi" stuff...unless you're a collector, not a smith. Hofi graciously showed us another way to work efficiently, including making the Haberman/Hofi style hammer. There is no need to buy a hammer.

JE

I have made most of the tools we have, even the power hammer is homemade. We can spend the 5 hours working on a tomahawk or other order instead of a hammer.

I have made most of the tools we have, even the power hammer is homemade. We can spend the 5 hours working on a tomahawk or other order instead of a hammer.

I think it's good to make your own tools as you need them. I built 2 Kinyon style hammers before the business grew and dictated that commercial hammers were a necessity. Starting out, I bought tongs and tools. Now, I take pride in making my own as it is part of the creative process, and is part of the independence and self sufficiency that I enjoy about being a blacksmith/metal artist.

JE

I've bought from BB. They are a legit outfit and serious about providing good tools to blacksmiths. However, I did buy a forged 2.5 lbs Hofi hammer from BB and was a bit disappointed in the quality of finish. For the price I expected something nicer. But I got the forged version. I hear the cast ones are nicer. But that doesn't change my opinion that they are good people to do buisiness with.

I think it's good to make your own tools as you need them. I built 2 Kinyon style hammers before the business grew and dictated that commercial hammers were a necessity. Starting out, I bought tongs and tools. Now, I take pride in making my own as it is part of the creative process, and is part of the independence and self sufficiency that I enjoy about being a blacksmith/metal artist.

JE

I know what you mean. Its not that I dont enjoy making tools. I do, just at this point I enjoy making other thigns more :P

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a big blu rounding hammer when i went to pieh tool on my way to sedona. I saw it on the shelf and picked it up and it felt good so i bought it. Now i use it all the time. I also have a hofi cast hammer, it is beautiful, but a bit heavy, its a 3 pound cast. I think the blu is 2 lbs or so. I really like it. If i forged full time i would use the hofi more, but i noticed a three pounder is a bit heavy for me since i already have tendonitis from tying rebar for the last 16 years! I am not stating one is better than the other, they are both well balanced, i just like the lighter one right now. Hmm, maybe i'll save up and buy a 2 pound hofi and see if i like it better than the blu.