I Forge Iron

First fire in my new forge.

firebug

Well I lit it up today and boy did it pull. Before I lit the coal I lit a small piece of paper and put it inside the chamber and the suction pulled the paper towards the back of the chimney. I knew then that it was going to pull or draft well. I made me a small pile of cardboard from a 12 pack beer carton{I found it beside the road, I didn't drink it} lit it and piled some coal around it and took some photos.
post-710-0-47094500-1291660111_thumb.jpg This photo was taken within a minute of lighting the fire, it was already pulling hard. No smoke got into the shop.
post-710-0-13631100-1291660113_thumb.jpg
post-710-0-36216400-1291660114_thumb.jpg

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm jealous!

Thanks Junksmith. I managed to scroung and find a really good deal on the stainless that I used to build the side draft chamber out of. The plate that I used for the top was salvaged also. I took a lot of photos and plan on doing a detailed article on the build with measurments as well as part number from grainger and a contact number for the man who is casting the fire pots. That will add to the growing material for everyone to be able to tap into when they decide to build there own forge.

Firebug,

Wow,that sucks! Really, it does. Nice job. Is the blower running or is that all from the suction?

Mark<><

The first photo the blower is running some. The last two photos the blower is switched off. I am very happy with the results. I am getting ready to start building my new 4 burner gas forge. I have 4 of the T-Rex burners from Hybrid Burners. I will keep ya'll posted.

The first photo the blower is running some. The last two photos the blower is switched off. I am very happy with the results. I am getting ready to start building my new 4 burner gas forge. I have 4 of the T-Rex burners from Hybrid Burners. I will keep ya'll posted.

Looking forward to the detailed article. This is exactly what I want to do. What size stovepipe did you use? 10"? 12"?

Looking forward to the detailed article. This is exactly what I want to do. What size stovepipe did you use? 10"? 12"?

It is a 12" square. I had a guy build it out of stainless about 6 years ago. The chimney travels 3 feet horizontally then turns 90 degrees vertically for 13 feet. It has taken me that long to find the time to biuld it. I have about 3 days worth of work in it. Since this is my first coal forge that I have built there were times I just stood there and looked at it. I also sweated the details. I will try to do the article in the next few days. I took plenty of photos and have some part numbers and contact number for the fire pot, tuyer, clinker breaker and sliding air gate. It came from Laurel Foundry in MS. It is the best set-up I know of. I know a guy that has been using his for 15 years on a regular basis and it didn't show any signs of giving up the gost anytime soon. The cost for the entire set up, fire pot, tuyre, clinker breaker and air gate is 255.00. May sound expensive but if you can afford it I believe it is well worth it. Especially if you do this for a living.

Very nice.

You pictures have been stolen and stored in my "I'm gonna make one like that someday" folder.

Please explain a little about the tray rig there on the left side.

Don

It swivels on 1/2" round bar that is slid into 1/2" pipe. It is welded to the 1/2" round bar and just slides down into the receiver and can be picked up and removed at will. I will use it for putting my flux can on or marking pencils or what ever. It swivels 360 degrees so it will never be in the way. I used it for the first time yesturday and it was great. It is very quiet and as you can see in the photo it SUCKS the smoke right out of the shop. I do not even have to warn the chimney to get it to draw. Like I said earlier I am going to do an article on it with measurements soon.

• 7 months later...

Firebug,

Did you ever do the detailed article on this? I just poked around and couldn't find anything. I'm getting closer to building this myself but was planning on using 10" round stove pipe to connect to the horizontal piece. Would love to see more info on the specs etc.

Thx, Roger

• 2 years later...