I Forge Iron

How much should I offer for these hammers?

There is no standard price... the condition sets the price.. The little Giant could be worth $300-$400 if its all busted up and needs a lot of repair (yes they can still run and be junk) but a really nice one could bring $2500-$3000 The Bradley I would guess if its in good repair could bring $2500-$4000.... if its in need maybe as little as $500

Pictures of the hammers, your location and the hammers location would help too. Even then, like Larry said, the important thing is the condition of the hammers. F.Y.I., here in New England I have seen mint condition 25# Little Giants go for $4500, twice. One a few months ago and one quite a few years ago.

What can you afford to pay? For me, if I can't lay cash down, I can't afford it. This obviously differs from current value.

Can you do all of the repairs, or would you need to send it out?

Do you have a way to transport? Lift, place,and set?

All of these will affect final out of pocket costs.

The other thing is how bad does he need to move these? I have seen machinery practically given away , and in some cases it has been, due to it costing the owner more to deal with than they wanted to spend.

Is he the original owner, or is he selling for an estate, etc?

Don't feel bad offering a low offer, if that is all you can afford. All they can say is no, and don't be afraid to walk away. There will be more available again. I have picked up items at automotive swap meets for half of the original asking price at the end of the day. It was what I could afford, and I had the cash in hand. Sometimes a little education to the seller in regards to parts, repair, and other costs in regards to buying one in working condition will help get a better price. And ALWAYS have the cash on hand, Ben Franklin has a way of helping your negotiations. It also shows that you are serious about this transaction.

Some deals are not so good after everything is said and done. I looked at a Model TT (1Ton) truck that a guy had for sale. The price sounded good until I checked with a friend of mine who messes with T's. By the time you restored this one, on top of his firm price, you would have spent more than buying one already done.

Good luck with the deal, and show pictures if you are successful.

i agree with the other posts and will add my 2 cents worth . location is a big part of price ... some times and some places hammers are a lot cheaper than other places. how many smiths in your area? how many are looking for a hammer?what is it going to cost to move um?(that one can be a real problem)max ide be willing to spend (if i had the money)is 5000 for the two if theyre in fantastic shape. the reason i say that is they are mechanical hammers you can get a self contained air hammer for a little more new.if your useing them for buisness (as opposed to restoreing old machinery)the air hammers are more versatile and can move more metal for weight. dont get me wrong i like mechanical hammers but for buisness the new self contained hammers are the way to go.good luck

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies! I'm probably going to go see them today. I'll take pics and post 'em here.

I (and the hammers) are located in north east Indiana, if that helps. They belong to an older gentleman who bought them intending to use them, but came down with arthritis and couldn't. He wants to get rid of them. I want to buy them, and be fair to both of us. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks,
Phillip

Well, I did go see the Bradley. Turns out that the 25# LG is at a different location, so I didn't see it, but that's ok, since I'm not interested in it.

Here's some pics of the Bradley. Not great, since it was getting close to dusk, and there were no lights in the barn.
Some are with flash, and some without:

12610-1.jpg

12610-2.jpg

12610-3.jpg

12610-4.jpg

12610-5.jpg

Links to bigger pics:

He said that it hasn't been used in 30 years, but it's been stored indoors all that time.
He's got it sitting on a nice concrete base, and built a really nice coal forge which has never been fired. I wish I'd gotten a picture of that forge....

Looks rotten, just buy the thing then ship it to me down in Ga and ill take care of discarding it for you. haha

The hammer looks great! I would love to have one. I would guess with some oil and elbow grease the thing would run fantastic. If you do buy it make sure to post pictures of the thing cleaned up and running!

Best of luck on it

I have a 125# just like it great hammer. I paid $2000 for mine complete with slow speed motor and pulley. You will need a motor stand if it is not with it. Treadle is not bad to build, also a belt about $40. I would try $1000 if the wear on the crank excentric is not bad. If you don't buy I would like a shot at it. It will need a 5hp motor.

Well it looks like Bradley is going to need some love. I would look all of the moving parts over for wear. Make sure that it free, and not froze up. I would be hesitant to cycle it with the rust on the dovetail, unless you can loosen the ways up some so no damage is done to them. Some things may feel tight until all of the ancient grease,rust, and crud is removed that was filling the gaps.

Kano Kroil is an excellent penetrating oil. I highly recommend it.

Looks like peacock has given you some starting info to help you get a price.

I would love to have a 25# LG. But my money is being diverted to other projects at the moment.

Phillip, thats a good looking #75, looks like its all there and to me looks to be in very good shape. One thing to remmeber if you buy it, when you are loading/unloading be sure that the anvil is mounted tightly or better yet strap it down hard with a heavy tie down ratchet strap. There have been cases of the anvil being "slack" when the hammer is lifted, the anvil "shifting" and shearing off the bolt boss's on the frame. May not be as big an issue with the smaller hammers but i would be aware and take steps to prevent anything like that from happening.

Peacock will be your man if any issues come up when your getting it up and running.

If for some reason you dont buy it, send me a PM.

It's not a "plug and play" hammer; but it looks complete and no obvious "Oh Drats".

If you can afford the time and consumables that would make you a GREAT hammer;

If it would just sit at your place for years it would not be a great hammer for you.

I know a friend who picked up a hammer than needed some work and had it for several years
and never got around to it. He finally sold it to a guy who had it repaired and working the
first day he had it!

it is a nice looking hammer. It will need some tlc but once you have it up and running you will be happy $1000.00 sounds like a fair price you still have to poor a base and set up a motor. The babbit may have to be repoured but closer inspection will tell. I had a tow truck meet me when I picked up my hammer $75.00 loaded it in my truck at the shop I used my chain hoist to take it out of the truck. It was a simple way to go little effort to get it loaded.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I talked to the seller yesterday and he accepted my offer of $1250. Now it's just a matter getting it. He can load it, but we'll have to unload it. I'm hoping we can winch it off the trailer directly onto my shop floor, but I can borrow my neighbors backhoe if that doesn't work.