I Forge Iron

Kids Say the Darndest Things!

Also last weekend, my uncle was out for the holiday. He was telling a story about my grandfather, who was a chemical engineer for Rhom and Haas, working in the Plexiglas plant. Some of the chemicals used to make it smelled of rotten eggs, and permeated leather. His work shoes always smelled dreadful, and he wasn't allowed to bring them into the house. When my uncle asked what smelled so bad, he said, "That's the smell of your bread and butter." Being a little kid, my uncle took him literally, and thought his father made bread and butter - and it was a stinky job!

The above reminded me of how kids can view things.

Many years ago, my kids were little and they had seen what my shop was like with big hammers and furnaces and such. Well I came home one day and said to my wife, "I had to fire Leo today". I then looked over to see my youngest listening in and he had the most horrified, distressed look on his face and he said slowly "You had to FIRE Leo"? Just think what his mind was imagining in that moment! I'll never forget that.Yes, kids take things very literally.

Guess I could have pulled a "Calvin & Hobbs" and said "Yes, when people don't work, we just toss them in a furnace and hire another. Saves a ton on unemployment".

Grant- Your post about kids in the shop is timely as I just shot a quick video of my son working on his first solo (almost) projects. His sayings are more along the lines of "My dad could make one of those" even when it's something totally complicated or high tech and I have to quickly say "Hold on Boy, no way".... Usually the folks he's talking to give me a look like they can't believe I'm teaching my son that it's possible to MAKE anything. Some people think what we do is cool thou.

I'd work for you in a heart beat, even if you fired me in a week I'm fairly sure I'd learn something;).

My granddaughter saw the purple fingernail on my hand and asked why I had nail polish on.
I told her it wasn`t polish,Grampy had a black eye on the end of his finger.(her big brother had a black eye recently)
She looked at me funny and asked"How do you see through you finger?".
She`s about to turn 3.

Here at the Tuller School, where I work and live the students run from pre K through 8th grade. The 4 through 6 year olds are truly the best. I am known as Mr. Harold and they flock to me like a mother hen when I am doing something. They ask the best questions and do say the darndest things. It is the best part of living and working here.

I`ve found that kids bring out either the best or the worst in people.
The people who choose to interact on the negative side of that scale are the ones I find myself growling at,sometimes very loudly :angry: (but never where the kids can hear it).

Kids key off our facial expressions so it`s always good to be able to give somebody the "bum`s rush" while smiling and talking in an upbeat manner.
Something like,"Grampy needs to show Daddy something by the car.Why don`t you go and feed the chickens(or pet the rabbit) for awhile" as you lead your son around the corner by the collar usually works for me.
Remembering to keep smiling till you turn the corner is the trick. :rolleyes:

i do see a lot of kids at my shop at the museum and they usually ask the best questions! i sometimes have to correct theyre parents so the kids get the truth! my favorite is when they tell the kids ime going to melt the steel... my usual responce is "i hope not kinda hard to work when its a puddle in the bottom of the forge" its fun tho when the kids have a longer attention span than theyre parents!if i get one thats real attentive ile make um a nail .. got a fan for life then! anyway the video of the kid forgeing was priceless ! that kid was haveing way too much fun and i noticed the eye protection and hearing protection! good job!

And Alex held his mouth and tongue right, too.

In my long ago horseshoeing days, I stopped at a new customer's house. A young lad answered the door and I said, "You're dad called me to get your horse shod." The kid began to cry and ran into a back room. He thought I said "shot."

When my youngest son was about 7, he said, "I know something ya' can't make dad." I replied, "Yeah? What's that?"

"A piece of wood!"

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools