I Forge Iron

using foot pumped bellows

connor bachmann

Hey y'all (I'm from the north, so I don't know why I just said that :huh: )

I've been using a hair dryer as my blower for quite a while, but have begun to wonder about using two these foot powered bellows (one on each foot)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kwik-Tek-Airhead-Hi-Volume-Bellows-Action-Foot-Pump_W0QQitemZ110591183019QQcategoryZ384QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5325051683231096923#ht_720wt_678

Anyways, I am working in a shed with no electricity and have to run multiple extension cords all the way up to the house every time I forge, it's becoming annoying so I'm thinking of using these instead.

Any thoughts?

Depending on what scraps you have laying around a set of canvassed bellows may be the ticket. Take an inventory of your scrap wood and plywood, then check for tight fabric like cotton duck, tarpaulin, leather, or vinyl.

I use a pump like that for my inflatable boat, and it doesn't recover very fast for the volume.

Phil

Connor,
I agree with Phil, I have one now for camping (air mattress) and it is slow.
They aren't real rugged and won't tolerate sideloading or uneven hard surface under them. The bellows material is also thin and won't stand hot sparks or slag hitting it.
For the time and funds invested your returns will be better on a home built bellows for this purpose.
my 2 cents,

Dick

Connor,
I agree with Phil, I have one now for camping (air mattress) and it is slow.
They aren't real rugged and won't tolerate sideloading or uneven hard surface under them. The bellows material is also thin and won't stand hot sparks or slag hitting it.
For the time and funds invested your returns will be better on a home built bellows for this purpose.
my 2 cents,

Dick

Ok I'll make some leather bellows. Thanks for the input.

If leather is out of reach, check around for other suitable materials. If you locate the bellows a bit away from the fire vinyl will be fine. Canvass can have a sheet of plastic inside, or be coated. Cheap blue tarp will work for a bit until better material can be found. The heavy canvass of a truck tarp (like flatbed trucks have wrapping the cargo) would work as well as leather.

Phil

(tear apart a trashed couch for bonded leather)

I'd love to see the video, heck sales might finance a nice shop and equipment for you. The last time I used one of those it took me just way WAY too long to fill an air mattress, let alone make a fire hot. With a little inginuity you can make very effective bellows from a cardboard box or better yet, two and some duct tape. An old feed sack and piece of hose or pipe will make terrific bellows. Best of all you can carry your tools in the sack.

If you check out the sporting goods store, look at the 12v blowers for inflating rafts, mattresses, etc. they work VERY well, especially when you're in the bush somewhere. The URL link covers the Coleman Inflate All but prices have gone up since last I bought one.

http://ucanhealth.com/local/merchandise/?pid=200770&ptt=Coleman_Inflat-all_12volt_Electric_Air_Pump

The most important thing to remember is, you just need to make air move to make a fire hot and there are lots of ways to do it, some simple and cheap, some complicated and expensive.

Welcome to the craft.

Frosty the Lucky.

hey ya'll im from the south i know why i said that. i always wanted to try that except for a bike on it's highest gearing ratio. and in stead of a tire on the wheel i would use wooden pegs. and the bellows would have a weight on top of it. the wheel wold turn and the peg would lift up the bellows handle the weight would push it down be fore the next peg came. if you do it you way you want fast and quick steps. oh way and try not no trip and fall into the forge.