I Forge Iron

anvil repair

Here is a link to one of the anvils that me and Johnny have repaired. Mostly Johnny. http://picasaweb.google.com/smithing3006/RebuildingAnAnvil#
We pre heated to 400 degrees then used a stoody 2110 to build up to within one or two passes. Then used stoody 1105 to hard surface. Then cooled slowly in (I don know how to spell vermiculite) for 24 hours. After that we spent about 14 hours grinding, using a strait edge for a guide.

Here is a link to one of the anvils that me and Johnny have repaired. Mostly Johnny. http://picasaweb.google.com/smithing3006/RebuildingAnAnvil#
We pre heated to 400 degrees then used a stoody 2110 to build up to within one or two passes. Then used stoody 1105 to hard surface. Then cooled slowly in (I don know how to spell vermiculite) for 24 hours. After that we spent about 14 hours grinding, using a strait edge for a guide.

Here is a finished Picture.post-9265-0-89390800-1290562125_thumb.jp

Good job, but why did you mess with the entire face of the anvil? Looked prestine from the hardie to the front of the anvil...just wondering. Don't forget to do the radius work on the edges if you haven't yet, pics show to be pretty sharp. Enjoy your "new" anvil!

It had a swag in the face and the corners where rounded off.

Just a thought on this. Having done this in my shop, 14 hrs plus heating and welding and grinding I would be at $1
per minute. lets see $60.00 per hr X 16-18 hrs. Say 17X60=462 hrs X $60hr = around $2750 for a anvil repair.

You are right Dragons Lair it's alot cheaper to buy an anvil, and we will next time. Now we know we can do it. Some things you just got to see if you can do.

Just a thought on this. Having done this in my shop, 14 hrs plus heating and welding and grinding I would be at $1
per minute. lets see $60.00 per hr X 16-18 hrs. Say 17X60=462 hrs X $60hr = around $2750 for a anvil repair.

The deciding factor for most of us is what do we have at hand.
Do we have $2750 burning a hole in our pocket and an intense desire to quickly make that cash someone else`s problem,or do we have all the gear needed and time on our hands?
Me,I got gear and time.
Still working on my alchemy skills but haven`t got to the chapter(or book for that matter) that contains the info that allows me to consistently turn what I got into cash at the wave of my hand.
When I do you guys will be the first to know(I`ll include video). ;)

BTW-You need to check your math,it should be 17 hours X $60 per hour + consumables= total expense in cash money. B)

Here is the latest anvil I have repaired. Was it economical? NO! Was it fun? YES! Would I do it for myself again? Of course. Would I do it for someone else? I don't think so.

Bill D.

Outstanding Bill I wish I had thought of putting a heal on mine like that. Looks great.

Here is the latest anvil I have repaired. Was it economical? NO! Was it fun? YES! Would I do it for myself again? Of course. Would I do it for someone else? I don't think so.

Bill D.

Boy, that Hay Budden is going to cause some interesting discussians in the future.

"Boy, that Hay Budden is going to cause some interesting discussians in the future."

Arftist, Take a look at the second thumbnail in this thread here on I Forge Iron:

I don't know how many were made but they were available back in the day! I just made it that way because I thought it would be neat to have!

Bill Davis