I Forge Iron

Indonesian Karambit

Mooch

I'm not sure Mooch, but I think the Karambit is illeagal in most of the United States, sure it is in the UK (any knife over 3 inches is illeagal to carry there) I know theres lots of pictures of them online, a simple google search will sort that. As to their manufacture I'd check the legal issue first before trying...

AFAIK, it's legal to carry any size knife inside the U.S.

It is illegal in some cases to conceal a weapon, and a knife is considered a weapon in some cases, so there is some gray area.

If you have a knife in an exposed sheath, there is no limit on the size of the knife you carry, AFAIK.. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Really?
I thought American Law Enforcement had taken a particular dislike to the Indonesian Kerambit. Mainly due to it's design. It's potentially an extremely difficult weapon to disarm and in the right hands is a truly lethal edged weapon, even among knives.

1192.attach

Ian,

That looks like a "tool" to me. ;)

That's the grey area with knifes. You can have that knife in a sheath in most states, AFAIK, I am not aware of any regulation based on design of the knife/tool/weapon.

Can I use one of those to carve wood if I can't carry it? Can I touch it? :P

The problem with the U.S. is that each state typically has it's own regulations for this type of stuff, so it might be true that some states have ban'd those based on weapons, I don't know, but there's 50 states let's not forget, and they vary in laws in regards to weapons.

I don't see why that knife would be considered more dangerous than a bowie knife, and those are about a American as apple pie.

With that said, for all I know those knifes might be illegal in California. :rolleyes:

Well, fellas, I live in Texas and we can carry low-yield nukes provided they are in a porper suitcase container. Seriously, the way I read the law here, if the blade is less than 5.25", not a switchblade or a "dagger" (assuming they mean a two edge fixed blade) you can carry it.
But Ian you're right about the stigma of a karambit; there can be no confusing what it intended for. Could be a real liability problem if you had to gut someone in self-defense

Y'know, I just re-read my post and have to say it sounded a little glib for such a serious subject. God forbid I ever have to "gut someone". If I'm ever faced with that, it means so many things - including my own awarness and judgement - have gone wrong

It varies, but many US states are pretty strict about their dangerous weapon laws. I know the MA laws like the back of my hand, and carry a copy of them with me in my wallet. In MA, it is LEGAL to carry a single edged fixed blade knife on ANY length. Switchblades over 1.5 inches, daggers, dirks, stilettos, ballistic knives, and various other bladed and non-bladed weapons are ILLEGAL. The Karambit seems perfectly legal in MA according to what I see, as long as the false edge along the spine remains a false edge.

What state do you live in Mooch? I could look up the knife laws and send them to you in you want.

The MA General Laws do not define daggers or dirks, I did a search for dagger, and came up with only one hit, the law saying you cannot carry them. In that case, I would go to the dictionary definition of a dagger or dirk. In the case of a dagger, I get "a short knife with a pointed blade used for piercing or stabbing" The problem with daggers ISN'T that they are double edged, it is that they posess the thrusting and stabbing power capable to penetrate deep into tissue, and in some cases through ballistic body armor. A dictionary search for Dirk gets me "a long straight-bladed dagger, especially from Scotland", illegal for the same reasons as daggers.

Be sure to check the laws of the state you reside in. I live in South Dakota and have a concealed carry permit. This allows me to carry a concealed pistol if I so desire, but does not allow me to carry a concealed knife. Go figure. I used to live in Texas and may again soon, I think I once read that it was illegal to carry a sword there. Double edged knives, dirks daggers etc, arr illegal in some states and as Thomas said, each state has their own definition of what they are.

Woody

I don't want to get into the "judged by 12 vs. carried by 6" deal but how a DA or grand jury percieves things is important. I mentioned in my intro post I wanted to make a 5" fighter to carry in a horizontal scabbard behind my back. Tactically that would be what I preferred. But if I can save my bacon with my 4" folder, which a good defense attorney could accurately describe as a "pocketknife" that might save my bacon a second time.
Also, if my situational awareness or judgement put me in a bad position, those same people could be convinced I was some deranged vet kitted out like Aragorn in Lord of the Rings out looking for trouble and found it.
I think sometimes John Q Public gets scared by stuff they dont understand i.e. the evil karambit or the evil "sniper rifle"

Try as I might I can't find any laws in oregon that prohibit the possession of any type of bladed weapon. All laws tend to speak to how you carry or use them. The only place they're specifically mentioned is in the "concealed weapon" section. Looks like a pneumatic switchblade would even be legal to carry concealed if you wanted to build one. It bothered me that I can't find a definition of a dirk, dagger, or slungshot anywhere in the Oregon Revised Statutes.

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

Webster's Definitions:
Main Entry: 1dirk
Pronunciation: 'd&rk
Function: noun
Etymology: Scots durk
: a long straight-bladed dagger

Main Entry: dag·ger
Pronunciation: 'da-g&r
Etymology: Middle English
1 : a sharp pointed knife for stabbing

Main Entry: slung·shot
Pronunciation: 'sl&[ng]-"shät
: a striking weapon consisting of a small mass of metal or stone fixed on a flexible handle or strap

So does a knife being double-edged mean it's for "stabbing"? Seems like you just get to do twice the amount of cutting inbetween sharpenings to me!

Mooch,
I never meant to imply that the Karambit was 'evil', I only meant to say that as an edged weapon it's design as you rightly pointed out, leaves little room to claim you use it to peel spuds (potatoes). I have spoken and trained with a few guys over the years who were aware of and in one case proficient with, the use of the Kerambit. From a SD point of view they hated the things, from an offensive pov they held them in high regard. No weapon is 'evil' its the user.

Aha; now I know why the current fondness for the seax *not* used for stabbing...

If it's not explicitly defined you have to go to case law for precedents!

Back when I checked in AR a "deadly weapon" (as in "a concealed deadly weapon") was defined as anything that has been or could be used to inflict severe bodily harm on an individual---in other words my physics text book in my backback could be considered a concealed deadly weapon (I was checking out the local laws for the local SCA group back in the 70's when I was in college).

Thomas

Well I thought the first post said it was illegal.I thought most if not all knife were legal as long as there aren't taken out of the home.Now I know there are a lot of laws about taken out in to other places outside the home.I think as long as the smith just didn't take any of his knifes out of home there would be no problem