I Forge Iron

Simple Friction Folder

Rhyfelwr

I just finished this folder, specs are as follows: 5" Red Oak Handle (one peice!). The blade is made from the leavings of another knife, but I believe its a buggy spring. Holds an edge rather well. I hand sanded and filed the blade and handle, overall I think I have 3 hours in this knife.

Oh and the handle finish is Linseed oil.

I am curious what would you charge for something like this? I mostly give my creations away as birthday/Christmas gifts.. But recently I have a local store owner wanting to retail some and I am at a loss as to what to charge. :mellow:

Thanks for looking!

post-4389-0-29249100-1290303396_thumb.jp

I wont comment on a price for another to sell their stuff, sorry, that's a call I doubt anyone can do for you.

I will comment about a statement on your web site. you posted a folder stating you used a copper and nickel core wire. where did you get that? if its Electrical its copper clad Aluminum, not a nickel core. if it is a copper plated nickel, I would like to get some.

I wont comment on a price for another to sell their stuff, sorry, that's a call I doubt anyone can do for you.

I will comment about a statement on your web site. you posted a folder stating you used a copper and nickel core wire. where did you get that? if its Electrical its copper clad Aluminum, not a nickel core. if it is a copper plated nickel, I would like to get some.

A while back I had some, not sure where I picked it up (just scrapping). I am pretty sure it wasn't aluminum, maybe it was steel core? It peened like mild steel..

Copper clad steel is favored for ground wire and ground posts, so it is very common. It comes in heavier gauges only, as it is used for running thing like lightening rod grounds and transformer grounds. Common ground posts for household wiring are also typically steel clad in copper. This combination provides good conduction and good resistance to corrosion while being very cost effective vs solid copper.

The knife is well proportioned and its shape pleasing to my eye, but I would like to see better finish on the woodwork and the working portion of the blade. It looks like there are sanding blemishes that darkened significantly when you applied the linseed oil. I would be thrilled to receive something like that as a gift, but would probably pass as a purchase. I think it is a handsome piece overall.

Investing in a belt grinder may be in order.

There are several threads discussing shop rate in the business section you may want to check out.

Phil