I Forge Iron

first high carbon blade

edge9001

Today I tried my hand again at making a blade form something other than mild steel. This is the first time I got to finish a blade without braking it. I actually got this one out of the forge without cracking or breaking it. its about time.

this was originally a spring from my cousins spare parts pile. probably from a truck or riding lawn mower. I don't know which. I found out my charcoal forge WILL infact reach welding heat. I put the spring into the fire and turned my back to it so I could light my propane forge to aneal a rasp for another project. when I got it lit and tuned I turned back around and 1/2 of ths spring was GONE! lol oops.

anyway I took the remaining parts and made this little blade from it, almost a scapel, but I thougt a good wood carving blade. I have my ipod touch in the pictures for scale.
post-13874-0-75160800-1289068296_thumb.j
post-13874-0-00245000-1289068314_thumb.j

I fit a handle to this knife similarly to the handle you put on a file so the handle/grip can be removed to more easily sharpen the blade

please give me feedback. I know the blade still needs to be sanded a bit bit to remove the remaining pits.
Tim

More carbon means that the steel burns at a lower temperature. Small pieces like that have to be watched VERY close. They heat quickly and overheat even quicker... best not to look away. Only ONE iron in the fire when working something like this. Most springs are more medium than high carbon... but are usually able to make good blades.

I like to glue my handles on, on knives like this... there is too much potential for a dangerous accident with a handle that could slip. Leave a bit of ricasso or allow the tang to extend from the handle slightly instead... easy to sharpen and much safer. Carving knives are often used with POWERFUL strokes despite their small blade sizes and the petite shavings that they usually produce.

I have a second blade I started today. I started this from a hoof rasp the plan is to continue to draw the tang out so this knife will use only 1/2 of the over all file.
post-13874-0-84903700-1289076974_thumb.j
post-13874-0-02862500-1289077013_thumb.j

I'm thinking I might put the mill to work on this one, and make some scales from aluminum for the handle, or maybe brass. I some plate of each. what do you guys think?
once again, ignore the dates.

I will post more pictures of this last one as it prgresses. unfortunatly I had to stop this one at this point because I am out of propane, and I used the last of my charcoal to get this far. I might go to the store and get more propane later today, or make/but more charcoal.

tim

still working on my rasp knife, I finished drawing the tang, and now I am letting it sit in the ash bucket to anneal it. once it cools enough to handle I'll get me pictures. in the mean time I have another I'm working on. here it is.

This one has some hammer marks I can't get out without making the blade too thin. but regardless of those few marks ..here you go (with a AA battery for size comparison)
post-13874-0-73085500-1289173987_thumb.j
post-13874-0-02850500-1289174010_thumb.j
post-13874-0-85847900-1289174025_thumb.j

I'm workin gto fit a hidden tank handle to this third one.

Ok, stop that! You're having way to much fun! That can't possibly be good for you. Just joking. It looks like you are off and running. Just remember that you have to eat and sleep occasionally. And if you are married...jeeesh, don't get me started! Keep at it! :)

well my B-day was the 5th, the wife started new meds on the 6th so she was totally compliant with what ever i wanted to do that day, and the kids were gone until 6 tonight...wo I had a fun weekend, and I got to ploay with not onoly the forges but my mill as well. that last one, I used the mill to make a handle for. it is ugly but it was a first attempt at a milled handle. once the epoxy dries and I get to sanded i'll post pics of it tomarrow sometime.

the first knife I gave to my cousin, he wanted it as is. didn't want a grip on it...mumbled something about hidden knife inside a belt...i don't know exactly. and the rasp knife is still cooling in the ash bucket....I'll keep you posted on it...I'm kindda excited to see where it goes and if I can finish it without cracking it.