I Forge Iron

steak flipper with rams head

hi everyone i am new here. i am an x horseshoer with bad knees but love to feel the hot fire on my face. so i have been forging some latley, and ran across a sample of of a rams head steak flipper last week, and i thought i would make a couple. the one on the left is the sample that i found. i painted them, but not convinced thats the correct finish. thanks for your comments!

post-15397-0-81571300-1289013701_thumb.jpost-15397-0-17503600-1289013747_thumb.j

Nice! See something you like and make it, good for you. As for the finish, since it is used for food contact I personally would not use paint. I will apply either bees wax or olive oil to them while hot--aroud 450-500F. When I make a batch of these I will use a torch to heat all of them and then spray with PAM. Have even heated them in the wife's kitchen oven and then sprayed with PAM. If you use peanut oil as a finish you run the risk of someone that is allergic to peanut using it and having a serious reaction. Sorry for the long winded reply...Nice work

Those heads are real cute!
On a lighter note I believe the Vandals or somesuch used to heat up their sword blades and pop them in Pam, or Vickey or Sven or whatever slave was handy to assist with the temper.They believed it gave the blade a 'life'.Grapeseed oil works a treat.
Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Possumfat - not bad! Try keeping the base of the horns a little thicker and don't try to put too many twists in them. Use the round face of your hammer at an angle on the area between the nose and eye will go, it gives a bit of a 'cheek ' and a base to punch the eye socket so it looks forewards. I like to round the bar immediately behind the head, it makes the curve much easier

post-14454-0-89638100-1289860789_thumb.j

post-14454-0-35035300-1289860799_thumb.j

Possumfat - not bad! Try keeping the base of the horns a little thicker and don't try to put too many twists in them. Use the round face of your hammer at an angle on the area between the nose and eye will go, it gives a bit of a 'cheek ' and a base to punch the eye socket so it looks forewards. I like to round the bar immediately behind the head, it makes the curve much easier

Chalky

Man those are life like. what kind of steel did you use to make them. Thats most likley where steal wool comes from.

Welcome aboard Possumfat, glad to have ya. Sorry about the knees but they're part of the farrier's retirement plan along with the back. Of course I'm not telling you anything new am I? :blink:

An edible oil is the preferable finish for iron eating implements, olive or peanut oils work very well. If you're making them for folk without dietary taboos bacon grease works really well. I suppose a little possum fat would be near perfect but . . . Your choice.:blink:

Of course just making them from a 300 series Stainless would eliminate the need for a finish but what fun would that be?

Frosty the Lucky.

• 2 years later...