I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Anvil

Long story short,

My youngest son has shown an interest in metal working, making knives and swords. I asked my mom if she still had the anvil that I used to play with when I was kid. She said yes that her grandson could borrow it but it was implied that it was still hers. After doing some research on anvils it seems that this anvil is weight 98 by the stamping on the side. On closer inspection it is also stamped with solid wa***ht in a circle, not sure about this. There is also two stamps on the anvil feet under the horn both are 0.

The questions would be what are the markings on the feet? Looking at the pictures does the edges need to be dressed or is it best to leave it alone because of the value? The face seems to be true, with a saddle on the step and several nicks on the horn. Does anyone know why there are so many chisel marks on the side with the marker stamping? This anvil would have been used for shoeing draft horses on a dry land wheat farm as well as general duty there.

Thanks,

Randy

P.S. I did not put the paint on this anvil.
post-15513-0-96806700-1288903328_thumb.j
post-15513-0-58090900-1288903334_thumb.jpost-15513-0-32233000-1288903340_thumb.jpost-15513-0-52636800-1288903347_thumb.jpost-15513-0-85375300-1288903349_thumb.jpost-15513-0-31588300-1288903355_thumb.jpost-15513-0-21597800-1288903358_thumb.jpost-15513-0-18871700-1288903360_thumb.jpost-15513-0-91907800-1288903363_thumb.jpost-15513-0-62332500-1288903368_thumb.j

The writing on the side says 'Solid Wrought'. The 0's on the feet are thought to be inspector's stamps. It probably shouldn't be dressed too much as it will thin the top plate out. Unless you are using the anvil for making cutlery you probably don't need a pristine face. It was fairly common to smiths to test chisels on the sides and the feet. That is probably why you see so many chisel marks on the side.

If the last number on the side is a '16', then your anvil would have weighted 100 pounds when new (0 X 112 pounds + 3 X 28 pounds + 16 pounds).

It was fairly common to smiths to test chisels on the sides and the feet. That is probably why you see so many chisel marks on the side.

I have heard this for years and I'm not disputing it now but I never have been able to understand
what kind of 'test' it is to put a gouge in the side of a relatively 'soft' anvil. Anvils must have cost
just as much in relative dollars then as they do now and I sure wouldn't intentionally gouge my anvil.

Didn't they have a bit of scrap around to 'test' their chisel?

Doesn't make sense to me.

It was *marketing* you tested it in front of your customers to WOW them they may not being as knowledgeable as to the various hardenings of an anvil...

Also back then an anvil was a tool not some mystical object to be kept pristine. It had a long life but it was in reality a "consumable". The smithing journals from 120 years ago had adds for places where you could send your anvil to be reforged and have a new faceplate forge welded on.

Like in recent times a knife company that advertised their knives cutting nails even though nails are almost dead soft!

I have heard this for years and I'm not disputing it now but I never have been able to understand
what kind of 'test' it is to put a gouge in the side of a relatively 'soft' anvil. Anvils must have cost
just as much in relative dollars then as they do now and I sure wouldn't intentionally gouge my anvil.

Didn't they have a bit of scrap around to 'test' their chisel?

Doesn't make sense to me.

You know, and I know, and most people reading this know that only the face of the anvil is hardened steel.

How many of the smith's customers knew that?

Phil