I Forge Iron

Atlas Horizontal Mill

I picked up an old Atlas bench-top horizontal mill yesterday evening. I'm pretty excited, because I've been looking for small shop mills and lathes lately, and this one came along.

Originally, I of course wanted a vertical mill. But when this came along, I snapped it up.

I loaned my truck to my brother for a couple weeks, so it's in the back of it tied down for another couple days until he can come by and drop it off. I'll take and post pics when I get it here.

That's it. No questions. Just idle excitement.

Some horizontal mills had an optional vertical milling attachment. Now that you have that mill you may want to research a little to see what other options the manufacturer offered as add-ons. Before you know it you could have 2 machines in 1 little package.

Just my 2 cents! Have fun with that mill and BE safe!

Some lathes also have a horizontal milling attachment...but your work envelope is rather small.

Put it to use and show us something! The company that purchased Atlas is still producing the die cast Zamac parts to keep these old toys running.

They are part of Clausing now, but I am told you need to call on the phone, as this old stuff is not on their website.

Phil

Atlas didn't make a vertical milling attachment, but a company named Marvin did. Unfortunately, they seem to be quite expensive and rare. I'm not too worried about it, since it can still run an end mill, I just have to think 90 degrees off!

As I did some research, it looks like I'm missing the stabilizer bar, and the arbor for Woodruff cutters. It has a 2MT spindle, and currently has a chuck in there for tool holding. It has the original milling vise. The bar is 1-1/2" solid bar, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to find the arbor.

It has the power table feed (X axis, I think), but I haven't run it yet to see how everything works. Other than the arbor, bar and bushing, it seems to be complete. Only one cutter, and no other tooling. Still, for $275, I'm pretty pleased.

For those who are curious, info can be found here: Lathes.co.UK -Atlas Horizontal Mill. If you check the links, there's a picture of an unknown-manufacturer vertical milling attachment. I'm wondering if, with some more practice, I can make one.

I'll get it out of my truck on Saturday, clear a space, and take some pics this weekend.

The overarm will be easy to make. The arbors should be available through MSC, J&L, Enco, or any other large machine shop supplier. Also look around, as there are tons of used tooling on the market.

Without a 90 head you can use an angle plate, and mount the part to that. In all the years of machining I have only used an arbor once, and that was for cutting a gear in class.

Endmills are a lot cheaper than slab, face, etc. milling cutters. Although a lot of these are on the secondary market as well.

Since you have a mill, you can make the arbor support. A mill can reproduce itself with the proper tooling.

The overarm will be easy to make. The arbors should be available through MSC, J&L, Enco, or any other large machine shop supplier. Also look around, as there are tons of used tooling on the market.

Without a 90 head you can use an angle plate, and mount the part to that. In all the years of machining I have only used an arbor once, and that was for cutting a gear in class.

Endmills are a lot cheaper than slab, face, etc. milling cutters. Although a lot of these are on the secondary market as well.

Since you have a mill, you can make the arbor support. A mill can reproduce itself with the proper tooling.

Biggundoctor I like your new avatar. GO ROSE!

How much of the power feed is missing? I can see the yolk for the drive shaft on the side of the machine but I can't tell if it has the driver on the underside of the table. I could probably send you specs if all you need is the shaft. I have one of these but I upgraded to a P&W 3c that is just a lot more machine. Now I'll be moving into a new shop soon with less space constraints and I'm looking at old bridgeports and 15k pound lathes hehe... It never ends.

Neaves, the power feed is missing from the table, so I'll be turning knobs unless I come across one used. You don't still have parts for your Atlas, do you?

Bob, I went to my local industrial surplus yesterday and picked up a handful of US-made end mills, and just ordered a set of MT2 holders. I'm thinking I'll buy the arbor next, and make my own support bar and end support.