I Forge Iron

Coolest knives ever!!

Ross_FL

Those knives are for sure well done with alot of attention to detail and construction..maybe even great knives,But I am not sure I will ever see the coolest knives ever,,,,

yeah, you got a point.

maybe the golden butter knife from that movie with Eddie Murphy, but that's it.

Meteorite was not unknown as a knife material through history---look at the iron in King Tut's tomb and all the old keris were welded up with meteorite for the high Ni layers.

OTOH meteorite tends to be LOUSY STEEL; it's not well refined and often has to be worked quite a bit with good steel to make an acceptable material to use.

Of course when you do work it at high temps you lose the Widmanstätten pattern.

Finally if you think about it a while *all* steel on earth is ultimately derived from meteors

Yeah..they are cruddy to work with...there are numerous accounts from the Indian sub-contenent that mention the amount of additional work required and the fact that a much higher quality steel was required to be amalgamated with it to get the Fe/Ni material to be workable.. My own experiments and research confirms that.

I have probably made more knives outta this stuff than anyone else in the US...It is a PAIN to the Nth degree to work sometimes but it is unique..Just that there are much higher quality materials available at much lower prices to use that will result in a much "higher quality" knife than extra-terrestial iron...

JPH

Yeah..they are cruddy to work with...there are numerous accounts from the Indian sub-contenent that mention the amount of additional work required and the fact that a much higher quality steel was required to be amalgamated with it to get the Fe/Ni material to be workable.. My own experiments and research confirms that.

I have probably made more knives outta this stuff than anyone else in the US...It is a PAIN to the Nth degree to work sometimes but it is unique..Just that there are much higher quality materials available at much lower prices to use that will result in a much "higher quality" knife than extra-terrestial iron...

JPH

Yeah, I'm talking strictly for a conversation piece. TO be honest, I think it would cooler to have a full meteor or cross section n the end table, but if I came across one of these at a show somewhere.... I don't think I would be able to resist.