I Forge Iron

pattern welded billets under a fly press

firefarm39

Except that those sizes are manufacturer specific---I have an old US made number two that is twice as big as one of the recently imported from India number 5's....(it is an H frame with a 42" flywheel)

Giving numbers without the manufacturer is like giving dimensions without saying if they are english or metric.

• 4 months later...

I use my number six from Kayne and son for welding, seems to work just fine. Need to work fast at first to get things set and then I like to used the depth nut to get a nice even thickness.

• 1 month later...

What Imagedude said. A mutual friend of ours has a number 6 (yes, I know it doesn't mean anything without the maker's name but I can't remember it) which many of us used with great success for welding billets until Jack got a Blacker PH. Come to think of it, the press still gets used for that at Jack's hammerins as there's too many making billets at once to all use the Blacker.
I haven't tried it on My no. 2 press yet, but I figure it'll probably do it with a smaller radius fuller.
The main thing to remember is to think of it as a human powered mechanical hammer instead of a press. As Imagedude says, go fast & firm-to-hard, not slow and squishy.