I Forge Iron

$2.12/# PW anvil

Hi fellas ,I saw a Peter Wright anvil today,it works out to about $2.12 per lb. Its within driving distance,it's about the size I think I want and the ball bearing bounced more than 2/3 the height I dropped it from. The only reason I'm typing right now instead of cutting off a stump is when I put a straight edge on it, it had an 1/8" of day light under it. I don't know how much that matters. It doesn't sound like they are beating his door down so I took a chance and left it go till I could run this by all you folks with the experience that I lack. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Oscer

1/8" isnt much wear at all. Most people find that low spot more useful than a flat surface. Mine has 1/2" of sway and I get a lot of use out of the curved surface. Main thing is the plate. If the plate looks good, its a good deal. How much does it weigh?

He's in central PA. (It's buried in his profile.)

I see a lot of anvils for sale in PA. Or at least I used to, before craiglook went down.

I guess what it boils down to is how badly you want it, and whether you can afford to spend the $250. A little bit of sway is no reason not to buy it, if everything else looks good.

I was just remembering a job I used to do on a 66" bullard at work. I Work in a small steel mill where they forge axles and train wheels. This machine Take an ingot (relatively short and stout) and passes it through a cylindricle hammer (my term) it has 4 dies or hammers that are trapozoids with a radius on the narrow edge. It's hard to explain but there is no anvil all 4 dies pound from all 4 directions and in one heat turn an ingot into two axles complete with journals. It then goes to aset of 3 torches where its ends are burned off and it's burner into two separate axle. So before long these hammers are all pounded out of sorts and they go through some heating and welding process and then we would mount them in a jig and turn them back into spec. so I,m wondering if we at home can't simulate this process? Oscer

I was just remembering a job I used to do on a 66" bullard at work. I Work in a small steel mill where they forge axles and train wheels. This machine Take an ingot (relatively short and stout) and passes it through a cylindricle hammer (my term) it has 4 dies or hammers that are trapozoids with a radius on the narrow edge. It's hard to explain but there is no anvil all 4 dies pound from all 4 directions and in one heat turn an ingot into two axles complete with journals. It then goes to aset of 3 torches where its ends are burned off and it's burner into two separate axle. So before long these hammers are all pounded out of sorts and they go through some heating and welding process and then we would mount them in a jig and turn them back into spec. so I,m wondering if we at home can't simulate this process? Oscer

That's called a counter blow hammer and sure you can build or buy one for your home operation. The real question being is your home operation going to be able to justify the cost?

That isn't enough sway to worry about if the rest of the anvil is in decent condition.

Frosty the Lucky.

I did buy it today. It's settin in my shop on a slightly crooked stump :mellow: I have an idea how to level it though without cutting it too short.I'm gonna rig up 2 parallel rails beside it and I have a shop made bridge that attaches to my router. Using a straight bit you can easily level the top of the stump.
Frosty,I didn't mean could you copy the forging system but could you copy the process they use to weld up and remachine the dies for it. Anyway I think I'll be satisfied with it the way it is. Thanks to all for Your prompt replies which enabled me to get it before it was gone. Oscer

Oscer; remember that you don't need to level the entire stump---just where the anvil sits and if you route out only the anvil base shape you then have a pocket that holds the anvil in place!

Sounds like a plan. I didn't get around to trimming it down yet, triing to finish up other project .