I Forge Iron

trying the crane

Well Brian I tried it and this is what I got. The wing is not easy mine kinda sucks. It was fun though my boy held the steel while I fullered it was nice to get him out to the forge it had been awhile. David says hi to you and Karen.

I forgot a eye and I started with 3/4 by 3/16 needed bigger fuller.

That is a great job, Mark. Remember when you said you'd never be able to do a horsehead in one heat? You have so much control over that neck taper; that is exceptional. The problem with the wing is running the fuller lines parallel for to long instead of changing the angle every time. You'll have almost half as many marks to forge and still cover the area and it will make it wider, just like fullering the leaves but not as sudden.

If you are unhappy with the way the "feathers" in the wing look then Google some images of birds in flight or better yet the stance of the bird you`re working on.Seeing pics or realistic drawings will help re-create a more realistic splay to the feathers.
I`d say the piece is very nice as is and something to be proud of.I`d be tempted to put it up on the wall and use it for a reference as to how and why I`d want to make changes in the future.
Any sculpture or piece of art is just an interpretation of an object or idea as your mind`s eye sees it.I find it a real learning experience to take things that I think look slightly off and ask others for their opinion.I try to get them to describe in detail what they feel appeals to them or is not quite comfortable for them.
Different shouldn`t be thought of in terms of bad or good,it`s just different.The only time different may be not desirable is if you were wanting to make a direct and accurate copy of something.

That looks outstanding to me !Great detail and proportions. I've done three so far, though only one with an anvil that had edges.The wing was another learning experience. I knew fullering the feathers would curl and widen it but didn't take it into account from the start. Looking forward to doing more but we have steady wind around 40 mph. today so I doubt it will happen today unless the wind dies down at sunset.
Thanks for posting your crane !

Dick

As you do items they will take on your own style. We all see things a little differently. It looks great keep working at it

Well Brian I tried it and this is what I got. The wing is not easy mine kinda sucks. It was fun though my boy held the steel while I fullered it was nice to get him out to the forge it had been awhile. David says hi to you and Karen.

Point one: that's a fine looking crane. If you don't like the wing you can make the next one better.

Point two: Be careful with ugly ironwork. It took me 15 years to get the first (and ugliest) poker that I ever made back from my mother. I had to make an entire set of dragon-head firetools and then sneak the poker out a couple of months later. She loved that thing.