I Forge Iron

Anvil information / advice needed

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and would like some information on my anvil. It is marked TRENTON in a large diamond on the side, below that there are the words SOLID WROUGHT stamped in a circle; and below that is the number 392 which I believe is the weight.

There is no serial number on the foot, and no indentation in the bottom of the anvil, like the hour glass or oval I have seen or read about online.

post-15283-078852800 1286818545_thumb.jp

post-15283-053222800 1286818580_thumb.jp

post-15283-090470500 1286818721_thumb.jp

post-15283-008347700 1286818778_thumb.jp

Could someone fill me on when this anvil was made, what form of construction is it (metal types), and any other information you would have about it.

After stripping the many many layers of paint that where on it I found that the horn, table and face had damage. There are many shallow indentations all over the surface of the horn, table and face. The deepest of which are around 1/16th of an inch deep and are marked with the yellow pencil. Also the edges are in rough shape with a very bad section marked with the red pen.

post-15283-003209400 1286818438_thumb.jp

post-15283-065732500 1286818452_thumb.jp

post-15283-091439200 1286818489_thumb.jp

post-15283-015438900 1286818474_thumb.jp

post-15283-096259600 1286818672_thumb.jp

post-15283-034376700 1286818897_thumb.jp

What I would like to know is should I try to repair the damage with welds, or grind and sand it down till the face table and horn are smooth.

Any information or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated,

Steven

I can't offer much information on the history and detail of your anvil, having never seen many of the makes of anvil you have in the US as I'm in the UK. However I now have two anvils; a 2cwt (224lb) Brooks and a 2-0-20cwt (244lb) Peter Wright. The face of the Brooks is nice and flat, with few imperfections, but the Peter Wright is covered in small marks. I've forged with the Brooks for a couple of years now which was fine, but I bought the Peter Wright at the weekend and forged with it once, and it just 'feels' better. It's almost as if it's imperfections inspire you to create work that it's previous owners would be proud of, if you know what I mean. By regrinding the face of the anvil, you're essentially removing all of the history built up over how ever many years and how ever many owners it's seen. That's my take on it anyways, it may be a little nostalgic, but it's the way I see things :rolleyes:

Despite this, my thinking is that the face of the anvil doesn't NEED to be perfectly flat, you just learn to work with what you have. Mousehole Forge here in the UK used to produce anvils with all manner of custom 'irregularities' for specific repetitive tasks, such as the chainmaker, cutler, hammer-maker or the sythe-maker. Even though the standard 'London' style anvil may be a little worn or dinged, it still serves it's original purpose well, providing it hasn't de-laminated etc.

Welcome aboard Steven, glad to have ya.

Use it as is. Trentons are high carbon (tool steel) faces welded to wrought iron bodies including the horn.

I have a 206lb Trenton and it's in about the same condition, I wouldn't dream of trying to clean it up, it works just fine. If you need a fine face say for finish forging on a blade, simply make a polished tool steel bottom tool or saddle.

She's a beauty, those are only representative of hard won miles, put her to work, she's experienced.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thank you for your input, I am glad to be here. It has been something I have wanted to do for 15 years or so, will have my forge finished this week so things are looking good. I will round and sharp edges and use it as is, I am happy that is that being the consensus, I was a little nervous about welding the anvil.

If anyone has any information about the production date or location of this anvil that would be great.

Steven

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your input, I am glad to be here. It has been something I have wanted to do for 15 years or so, will have my forge finished this week so things are looking good. I will round and sharp edges and use it as is, I am happy that is that being the consensus, I was a little nervous about welding the anvil.

If anyone has any information about the production date or location of this anvil that would be great.

Steven

Most likly a German Trenton they had the steps on the feet like the Peter wright Early ones May have been made by Hay Budden I am not an expert but just looked at a German Farriers anvil owned by a collector and got a lesson including the info on the steps on feet.

Chuck