I Forge Iron

finished two propane forges

ironsmith

Get off that couch and get us a picture.. you should know by now the blacksmith breed is to our equipment like zombies are to brains. I think I have even seen a couple of them in a daze limping down a path moaning coal...uurgg propane....steel.

hehe , sorry to tease you guys, but i sure was tired that day, then i stayed up some 20 hours straight to go see Mark Aspery last saturday at our guild meeting. will try to get the wife to email the pictures of the forges to my work to post them :)

well as stated in a different post the forge got so hot it destroyed the reducers i had on the ends of the burners to help with flame shape, It seems these are not needed anyway for the forge to operate so no big deal. the guy i sold one to is really happy.
and the other may be sold this weekend.

thanks for the comments too!

I feel pied

Thanks.

:P

Phil

Wow, Edge is Soooooo helpful isn't he Phil? We'll have to be sure to return the favor. ;)

Thanks for the pics, they explain a lot. That's a lot of burner for that volume so it's no surprise they're melting cast fittings. Will you be putting individual valves on them so you can adjust heat?

Nice looking work, well done.

Frosty the Lucky.

Wow, Edge is Soooooo helpful isn't he Phil? We'll have to be sure to return the favor. ;)

Thanks for the pics, they explain a lot. That's a lot of burner for that volume so it's no surprise they're melting cast fittings. Will you be putting individual valves on them so you can adjust heat?

Frosty the Lucky.

now phil you walked right into that one. sorry I'm in one of those moods today, just overlook me. roflmao

Frosty the Lucky.

I like to use the KISS method when building these things, and i felt since the regulator is adjustable and you have a shutoff valve at the burner there is enough adjustment there...
I'm thinkin the next one's i build i/m gonna round out the outside of some kiln brick and shape it to fit inside the shells to see how that works. any predictions?

That's how they line the interior of the huge rotary limstone kilns (to make quicklime).

Because of the small diameter of these forges, I'm thinking you'll have to shave a lot off the bricks to make them wedge-shaped, or stick in a lot of castable/high-temp cement between the bricks.

Hope I understood it right!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to ask if you were going to coat the wool with cement. I coated mine and it made quite a bit of difference in how fast it got hot. B)

I need to coat mine. and paint the shell. I figure a nice nean purple will do nicely, what do you guys think?

well as stated in a different post the forge got so hot it destroyed the reducers i had on the ends of the burners to help with flame shape, It seems these are not needed anyway for the forge to operate so no big deal. the guy i sold one to is really happy.
and the other may be sold this weekend.

thanks for the comments too!

Hey, how much do you charge for those? Those are really nice. I'd be interested next week after I get paid. :)

Regards,
Tim