I Forge Iron

My setup:)

mrkiddi

This is my setup:) Brake disc forge and 50kg anvil.
i put a barrel over the Forge because of wind and to keep the heat inside.
i quite like this setup, didn't cost me anything but it's really small so i may have to modify the sides to get the heat to the middle of the blades im making.
im using coke to fuel my forge. lucky me to have a aluminium smelting plant nearby so i can get as much coal/coke as i want for free!

post-12245-010384600 1286224887_thumb.jp post-12245-053423700 1286224982_thumb.jp

how are you venting the fumes?

i am going to cut a hole on top of the Barrell and a 2 meter long pipe that leads out of it...
but in the mean time it just comes out of the cut out side...
i just make sure i don't get in the way when im not picking up the metal:)

That'll work. It's good to see good improvisation, it's so often the case a person getting into the craft tends to overthink and over design everything. This is a simple, clean and functional set up. Well done.

I'd for sure have a coffee pot sitting on top of the barrel, maybe a pot of soup in winter.

The only real things I have to add to what you've already done are:

1, for long stock make a door in the rear of the drum so you can pass long stock through.

2, I can't tell from the pics but setting it at a good working height will really help. There are more than one prefered height for the forge. I like the fire at a comfortable height to look into. Some guys like it set so they can lay long stock on the anvil's face or use the forge table as a helper for the anvil. One serves a as helper for the other.

You're going to work yourself out of the newcomer ranks in darned short time if you keep this up.

Frosty the Lucky.

That'll work. It's good to see good improvisation, it's so often the case a person getting into the craft tends to overthink and over design everything. This is a simple, clean and functional set up. Well done.

I'd for sure have a coffee pot sitting on top of the barrel, maybe a pot of soup in winter.

The only real things I have to add to what you've already done are:

1, for long stock make a door in the rear of the drum so you can pass long stock through.

2, I can't tell from the pics but setting it at a good working height will really help. There are more than one prefered height for the forge. I like the fire at a comfortable height to look into. Some guys like it set so they can lay long stock on the anvil's face or use the forge table as a helper for the anvil. One serves a as helper for the other.

You're going to work yourself out of the newcomer ranks in darned short time if you keep this up.

Frosty the Lucky.

it made adjustments to the Disc itself, i cut a little of the sides to get longer bits of steel in there. im going to cut a small hole on the other side... but for now i'll just keep it like that until i have to use it. and about the height i have put another stack of firebricks under tha anvil and it is at about the same height as the barrel