I Forge Iron

heading tool for bottom tools

I have taken on a project from Mark Asperys book Vol l, I needed to make some bottom tools, but I 'm sure I would end up crackin my anvil if I tried to do any heavy smooshing, it's only a 125# Trenton. Anyhow here are the steps I took and where I am today
post-2133-014291500 1285980670_thumb.jpgpost-2133-080711600 1285980672_thumb.jpgpost-2133-010256500 1285980675_thumb.jpgpost-2133-082074600 1285980679_thumb.jpgpost-2133-036938300 1285980684_thumb.jpgpost-2133-014419300 1285980687_thumb.jpgpost-2133-083074200 1285980689_thumb.jpgpost-2133-014003100 1285980694_thumb.jpgpost-2133-056694200 1285980667_thumb.jpg

What I am unsure about is the stand, should It be a stump, or should I fab up a tripod of sorts. do I drill holes to mount it, or have it fasten without putting holes in it? If I make the stand of steel do I weld it to the stand?
Too many options.

In case anyone wants to know the plate is 6" x 7" x 1.50" thick , the Hardy hole is 0.9375" (15/16").

Edited by 2Dogs

I am grateful for your post, I've been making bottom tools lately and using my hardie hole to fit the shank. It's been working, and I'm fairly sure my anvil can handle it (250#) but I've been meaning to make a heading tool just for a little more freedom to really smash the steel. It'd be a real shame to ruin my anvil that way.

Although Tom Clark said if you're able you should always make your own bottom tools because you can make them fit exactly to your hardie hole, and as they cool in the hole they contract so they will never get stuck in the process of making them. Maybe he would use a heading tool that was a slightly larger hole and do the final fitting in the actual hardie hole. Anyone have any insight?

I am grateful for your post, I've been making bottom tools lately and using my hardie hole to fit the shank. It's been working, and I'm fairly sure my anvil can handle it (250#) but I've been meaning to make a heading tool just for a little more freedom to really smash the steel. It'd be a real shame to ruin my anvil that way.

Although Tom Clark said if you're able you should always make your own bottom tools because you can make them fit exactly to your hardie hole, and as they cool in the hole they contract so they will never get stuck in the process of making them. Maybe he would use a heading tool that was a slightly larger hole and do the final fitting in the actual hardie hole. Anyone have any insight?

Sure, make them where ever you want, but fit them to your anvil hardy hole hot.
Just be sure to make the tang a little long. Then, if they are a real tight fit, a little tap with the hammer that is likely in your hand anyway will loosen them easily.

2Dogs, I know it can take 11 hours to drive across So. Orygun, but if you're within 3 hrs from Klamath Falls, Get aholt of me a few days in advance, I'll get the local boys in a bunch and we can do an afternoon of bottom tool whacking. I've got blocks in 1 inch, 15/16, 7/8, and 3/4 if I remember right. It's actually a fair bit of a good time, we all got pretty good at it when we did the CBA conference workshop 3yrs back or so. Bring a pile of beer, the rest is on me. 541-892-2208
mike h

2Dogs, I know it can take 11 hours to drive across So. Orygun, but if you're within 3 hrs from Klamath Falls, Get aholt of me a few days in advance, I'll get the local boys in a bunch and we can do an afternoon of bottom tool whacking. I've got blocks in 1 inch, 15/16, 7/8, and 3/4 if I remember right. It's actually a fair bit of a good time, we all got pretty good at it when we did the CBA conference workshop 3yrs back or so. Bring a pile of beer, the rest is on me. 541-892-2208
mike h

Thanks for the generous offer, I haven't found anyone around Medford to hammer with. There was someone in Central Point but I don't remember his name. I would enjoy hookin up for some forging.

And don't forget that a hardy hole may not be a perfect square!

Yes, I discovered that, but thanks for that bit of datum that I have heard no where else. I have two anvils one Hardy hole is 7/8
one is 15/16, when I formed a hardy in each, I looked at the shapes, one looked more like a parallelogram.
Maybe I'm just gullible, I assumed the holes would be equilateral.