I Forge Iron

Gershwin was right...I've Got Rythm!

You know I could be wrong, and I throw this open to you lot, but isn't there actually a piece of classical music that actually requires the use of an anvil? I can't remember the name of it but a gut feeling tells me its German in origin. If anyone knows it or has heard it then post a link, I'm curios.

When NM Tech had their parade last year the Materials Science club borrowed my big forge and a bunch of anvils---they wouldn't let us use a real fire so we did dry ice and water to get smoke and hammered on rods that had been painted red/orange/yellow. I showed them Emmert Studebaker's old "shave and a hair cut" tapping rythm

and the float won first prize in the *band* division....

Thomas

This morning, I shared this question on the Piano Forum (my other passion) and one member already reported performing Anvil Chorus with a real anvil. He said the real anvil sucked and didn't ring very well, so he used a section of RR track. I had to laugh because it seems like such a great cultural crossing... the same solution by a musician as a blacksmith... for two different reasons. VERY funny.

Ed he had probably gotten one of the harbour freight cast iron ASO's. I have an old Arm&Hammer with the thin heel and it rings quite well.

The "beat" I learned from Emmert was to take a fairly light ballpein on an anvil with good rebound you strike it and then "push against the bounce" so that the hammer does a stacatto beat on the anvil doing the last two beats on the horn.

Easy to show hard to describe: Pow di-di-let-dit; Pow di-di-let-dit; Pow di-di-let-dit---Tonk Tonk

I met Emmert Studebaker when he was in his 90's back in the '90's and think of him every time I "do the beat"

Thomas

Thomas: I gave him the benefit of the doubt and told him it was probably a Fisher. But you are more likely correct. I tend to forget how rare any exposure to real anvils is to non-blacksmiths.

Uri: I used to listen to the 6th symphony a lot... and never noticed. Time to dig up a recording (certainly vinyl if I still have it) and pay more attention. Since my last post, another pianist from the PianoForum reported attending a concert in Berlin with the Berlin and Vienna Philharmonic orchestras doing the 6th with an anvil. Here is what he had to say:

"There are obscure works which call for anvil, such as Patrick Hadley's "La Belle Dame sans Merci," which can be found on Google, but one important musical moment is the hammer and anvil in Mahler's 6th Symphony. I heard it in Berlin last year, when the Berlin and Vienna Philharmonics played together. I can't imagine any other orchestra has a bigger set, and it certainly made a noise from hell when it was struck. The hammer was absolutely enormous, and it was a real effort for the player to lift. I think they had fun at the rehearsals, making as though to hit someone's head, but you'd have to be careful not to end up with one player fewer!"

I always loved that piece. Well, Mahler in general is good stuff.