I Forge Iron

found cheap anvil anybody recognize it?

hello, I am new to this forum as well as blacksmithing. I am in the process of getting my tools gathered. I have a railroad track that I have been making due with but I found this anvil on craigslist http://peoria.craigslist.org/atq/1979804087.html and I wondered if anyone can make any suggestions about it. I have contacted the seller with some questions and I am waiting on their response. I didnt know if anyone recogized the form or could visually see that its just a cast iron piece of junk.

hello, I am new....I didnt know if anyone recogized the form or could visually see that its just a cast iron piece of junk.

Looks like a piece of a combination anvil-vise similar to a "C.E.SHIELDS BLACKSMITH VISE ANVIL COMBO 27lbs.Patd.1912" as found on EBay at: http://cgi.ebay.com/C-E-SHIELDS-BLACKSMITH-VISE-ANVIL-COMBO-27lbs-Patd-1912-/280567527837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415320b99d .... not recommended as a purchase.

It's the sad remains of a combination anvil vise and not suited for heavier work than straightening nails when it was whole. The RR rail will serve far better so keep looking but don't get hung up on having the "right" tools, light a fire and start making things NOW. The most important tool you have is your brain, train it.

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya!

Frosty the Lucky.

Saw a complete anvil/vise combo about two weeks ago at a yard sale. Same anvil piece as yours with vise portion entering from the side away from the conical edge of the "anvil" and entire unit was in excellent condition for $25. Not something to be beating with any vigor ... ;)